Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long to Garden?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How long to Garden?

Ok so love this place, great advice and I read so much on here daily. So I want everyone's thoughts. So I have a Capital One Quick Silver $800CL, a Capital One Platinum $500, a JCREW store card $250 & and Buckle Card $250. Scores are Ex 617, TU 600 & Ex is 607 I believe it said. Clearly I think I need to garden for a while. But how long should I garden? I would love a Discover or just a Prime Card some day. I know I'm a ways off and that's ok. Oh my Util is 6% of a total available credit. All cards have zero balance except my QS. I use it heavily and pay off in like 3 payments a month.
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How long to Garden?

@Anonymous wrote:
Ok so love this place, great advice and I read so much on here daily. So I want everyone's thoughts. So I have a Capital One Quick Silver $800CL, a Capital One Platinum $500, a JCREW store card $250 & and Buckle Card $250. Scores are Ex 617, TU 600 & Ex is 607 I believe it said. Clearly I think I need to garden for a while. But how long should I garden? I would love a Discover or just a Prime Card some day. I know I'm a ways off and that's ok. Oh my Util is 6% of a total available credit. All cards have zero balance except my QS. I use it heavily and pay off in like 3 payments a month.

Hi Br3tt.

Since I started rebuilding, the longest I have been able to garden is 6 months.  A year would make most INQs less relevant and improve your AAoA.  Two years is ideal.  I guess the main question is whether all your baddies are gone.  I have 1 paid collection left on my report.  Since there are always good cards to apply for, I decided to freeze my reports.  Since I have to pay to unfreeze them, it'll give me pause for thought on whether I want to do this or not.  16 months ago, I wouldn't have thought that I would be where I am now.  The good part about gardening is that you can still go after CLIs while allowing your score to grow.  I started out with JCrew at $350; it is now at $13350 in 15 months.  Discover is all over the place in regards to approvals, so there is no specific formula with them.  I got my first Amex at 660 EX.  Barclays at about 650 TU.  Think I'm blacklisted from Citi CCs, but not their store cards.  Chase has 5/24 rule, so it would be 05/18 before I could apply for one.  I'm pretty satisfied with my current approvals; only thing I want to add is a PenFed card or two and won't try again with them until December since they consider me an Egyptian.  Whatever you decide will be the right choice for  you.  Smiley Wink

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How long to Garden?

I would love an Amex, that will happen in the future.  Discover and Amex are two that I would love to have in my wallet.  Also that new Chase Freedom Unlimited looks really amazing.  I've been reading on that.  As for baddies, there are still a few but not many.  I am in the process of getting rid of them.  Honestly the only thing that I see being a problem for me is my late marks on my student loan payments.  I was stupid and didn't take care of my business when it comes to them.  They are current now and I am payign and will keep on paying.  But I don't think I am going to be able to get them to delete those marks.  If I could I my score would go up SO MUCH!  Barclays seems ok but they aren't something that I strive for.  The Discover and the AMEX are ones that I want badly.  My quicksilver that i have I do like.  I use it alot and PIF always.  I guess I need to probably go into the garden until atleast 01/17.  

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.