cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long until Late Payments stop impacting Fico score?

tag
Dolan621
Established Member

How long until Late Payments stop impacting Fico score?

Just wondering if anyone has any idea how long before late payments stop having an impact on your Fico score? I had a rough stretch about 2 years ago and got behind on my car loan with Capital One. Had a bunch of 30,s a couple of 60s and a 90-day late. I got it straightened out and have been on top of it for almost 2 years now and haven't had any late payments.... and I'm actually cloce to payoff on the loan now.

My credit score is now decent, but I think it would be better without those lates. I tried GW letters but no dice.

Any info? Thanks!

Starting Score: 569
Current Score: 637
Goal Score: 721

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Bankrupt2019
Established Contributor

Re: How long until Late Payments stop impacting Fico score?

Capital one is a scummy company, just saying. I would steer clear of them at all costs.

Message 2 of 4
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Dolan621 wrote:

Just wondering if anyone has any idea how long before late payments stop having an impact on your Fico score? I had a rough stretch about 2 years ago and got behind on my car loan with Capital One. Had a bunch of 30,s a couple of 60s and a 90-day late. I got it straightened out and have been on top of it for almost 2 years now and haven't had any late payments.... and I'm actually cloce to payoff on the loan now.

My credit score is now decent, but I think it would be better without those lates. I tried GW letters but no dice.

Any info? Thanks!

There is no one size fits all answer for you but from anecdotal stories here a 30 day late will lose most of it's impact after about 2 years. A 60 day late will generally score like a 30 day late after that same 2 years but a 90 day late will likely hurt the entire 7 years it's allowed to report.

But be aware that scoring looks not only at how old and how severe lates are but also how many lates are reporting at any one time.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 3 of 4
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

I just had 3 trade lines removed that had lates from 30 days up to 180 days, these were a few years old.. I only got 20 points when they got removed..

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.