Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long until collection is removed from CR

tag
weeehooo
Valued Member

How long until collection is removed from CR

Had a collection for $152 that I was not even aware of for 2 years until I checked my CR. Called the collection company and they said if I paid now that they would erase the derogatory item from my CR. They said they thought it takes 30-45 days to be erased after they send the credit companies a letter for removal. Does anyone know how long this would actually take to be removed ?
Citi AAdvantage World Elite 38.5K | OCCU Duck Card 20k | PenFed Cash Rewards 13.5k | Chase Freedom 9k | Citi Dividends 9k | US Bank Club Carlson 9k | Southwest Visa Signature 8.5k | US Bank Cash + 7.5k | Discover it 7.5k | Citi Prestige World Elite 7k | Sallie Mae 6.3k | Chase IHG Rewards 5.6k | Amex Hilton Honors 5.5k

Less then 1% Util, Last baddie off my CR 12/23/13, in the garden until 12/14
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
starry1
Valued Contributor

Re: How long until collection is removed from CR

We have no way of knowing.  it could be a few days or it could be a couple of months.

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 2 of 7
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@starry1 wrote:

We have no way of knowing.  it could be a few days or it could be a couple of months.

+1.  It depends on the CRAs and the CA requesting the deletion.   For me, EX words quickly, but EQ takes forever.

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 3 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Updates to your accounts are all done electronically via e-Oscar so those would be very prompt.  With an entire account deletion, e-Oscar cannot do that and needs to be done manually.  The CA will send the UDF to the CRAs and then they will manually delete the TL.

It can take up to 90 days, depending on how fast the CA sends in the request and how fast the CRA gets to it.

Message 4 of 7
jbrown773
Contributor

I've been told by a CA to dispute the account from the CR and that the process would go a lot faster. I don't believe that is a "correct" answer and many people will say that you should not dispute things for those reasons. I'm simply saying that I have done that from the suggestion of a CA when I did a PFD and it came off my record the next week.

Starting Score: EQ FICO 582, TU 614, EX 528 9/13
Current Score: EQ FICO 648, TU 678, EX 663
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 7
weeehooo
Valued Member

I was going to dispute it, yet i was nervous to "rock the boat" , since i was not certain what would happen afterwards. 

Citi AAdvantage World Elite 38.5K | OCCU Duck Card 20k | PenFed Cash Rewards 13.5k | Chase Freedom 9k | Citi Dividends 9k | US Bank Club Carlson 9k | Southwest Visa Signature 8.5k | US Bank Cash + 7.5k | Discover it 7.5k | Citi Prestige World Elite 7k | Sallie Mae 6.3k | Chase IHG Rewards 5.6k | Amex Hilton Honors 5.5k

Less then 1% Util, Last baddie off my CR 12/23/13, in the garden until 12/14
Message 6 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Bad advice, unless there is something inaccurate in their reporting.

The consumer has the initital burden in any dispute to document an actual inaccuracy.  If the debt/collection is legit, then there is no error based only on the fact that they have reported it to a CRA.

In the case where the consumer becomes aware of a collection only through a pull of their own credit report, there is an issue of a possible violation of the FDCPA on the part of the dect collector, as they were required to have sent dunning notice to the consumer within 5 days of their reporting.  The requiremnt for timely dunning notice is intended to enable a consumer to immediately address any reporting that is huring their credit.  Two years of credit report presence, if others have pulled your CR in the interim, has been having a negative impact.

You can send a formal complaint to the CFPB for their failure to have sent timely dunning notice, as required under FCRA 609(a).

Additionally, you can send a DV request that will invoke an automatic cease collection bar on them until such time as they have provided verification of the debt.

However, those debt collection provisions under the FDCPA are not themselves basis for a dispute of accuracy of the reporting.

The only statutory requiement for credit report deletion of a collection is provided to residents of Texas who can send a similar request for verification under the TX financial code.  If the debt collector does not provide verification within 30 days, they are required to delete their reporting until such time as they have provided the requested verification.  No such requirement exists under the federal FDCPA, which only imposes a cease collection bar until verificatio is provided.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.