cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long will a hard inquiry affect my score? It says it will be on file for 2 years

tag
danny4l
Frequent Contributor

How long will a hard inquiry affect my score? It says it will be on file for 2 years

Last week I applied for a BOA secured card and I was denied.  On my report, it now says that the inquiry will continue on file till March 2015.  How much will this hard inquiry affect my score right now and up until March 2015?  I was just trying to do the right thing and open up a line of credit that would report to the three bureau's but they said I have too many medical collections and I would need to take care of them first.

Thanks

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: How long will a hard inquiry affect my score? It says it will be on file for 2 years

A hard inquiry stays on your report for 2 years but only factors in scoring for one.  I would say you may lose 1 - 5 points initially.  It should not impact your score every month meaning you should not lose points each month.

Message 2 of 10
danny4l
Frequent Contributor

Re: How long will a hard inquiry affect my score? It says it will be on file for 2 years

Even though the score is not damaged like you are saying, can a lender still use a hard inquiry against you?  For example, can they say "What is this?"

Message 3 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 4 of 10
danny4l
Frequent Contributor

Do you recommend no more hard inquiries for me until march 2015?  I just wanted to open up another secured card in addition to my capital one because I felt that two cards reporting were better than one.

Is there a formula for how many hard inquiries one should have and how many will make your report look negative?

Thanks

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just applied for a capital one secured card and was approved. It dropped my score by 4 points.

Message 6 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Each CRA has their own determination of what is too many inquiries.  So does each creditor. 

Some will say one is too many, others 4 or 5 in a year time span.

Message 7 of 10
danny4l
Frequent Contributor

The whole process is so confusing.  When your credit is not good, they tell you to improve it but it seems like you get punished trying to improve it sometimes.

Message 8 of 10
chasmith
Valued Contributor

Hard INQs remain on your report for two years, but only affect scoring for one year.

BK7 Filed 8/11/2009 Discharged 11/23/2009. Purchased new home 4/11/2012
Starting Score:11/16/2009 EQ 566 11/16/2009 TU 538
Interim Score: 12/27/2012 EQ 683 09/17/2012 EX (lender) 670 1/01/2013 TU 701
Current Score: 11/06/2013 EQ 708 11/06/2013 EX 702 11/16/2013 702 11/06/2013 TU 729
Goal Score: EQ 740 EX 740 TU 740
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 10
signguy17
Frequent Contributor

I just got a new CC from my CU and the hard pull didn't change anything but the addition of another CC cost me 2 points but that shouldn't last long.......I hope.

Starting Score:
11/11/12 BEGIN REBUILD myFICO 584

11/11/13 ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY!! myFICO 705
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.