cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long will it take for identity theft removal?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How long will it take for identity theft removal?

I am just mailing in all the paperwork today (fraud affidavit, police report, proof of identity, etc). There are three collections accounts due to someone opening an apartment and utilities in my name, so I'm sending all of the required documents to all 3 credit bureaus as well as the companies holding the debt. How long should I expect to wait until they are removed from my reports? I'm hoping ASAP, we're in the process of getting a mortgage, these collections were a big surprise and causing a big hiccup.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: How long will it take for identity theft removal?

Provided the request includes all of the required parts, which yours apparently does, FCRA 605B requires the CRA to block "not later than 4 business days after the date of receipt by such agency.."

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great! I was worried it might take 30+ days or something. Should I send it certified mail? Or just normal mail?
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually, I decided to send it priority mail express. Should be delivered by Thursday so I'm hoping it will be removed by the beginning of next week
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.