cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many HP does Capital One need to do?

tag
Demetri98
Established Member

How many HP does Capital One need to do?

Does this seem right? Applied for a secured CC at Capital One only one time and this is what I see.

What are your thoughts? A little excessive isnt it? Anyway I can get them to stop at this point as I still havent heard back if its approved or not:

CAP ONE02/11/2013Experian
 CAP ONE02/11/2013TransUnion

CAP ONE02/11/2013

Equifax

CAP ONE02/13/2013Experian
 CAP ONE02/13/2013TransUnion

CAP ONE02/13/2013Equifax

Also on top of this, looks like I have a CA also doing some HP's:

ARS NATIONAL SERVICES01/04/2013Experian

HP from a CA doent seem legal is it?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How many HP does Capital One need to do?

I just noticed when I looked at my Experian today that Capital One had FOUR inquiries on my credit. It should be one from last Feb when I applied and was approved for my Capital One, then one from June when I got an HSBC card (now cap one). They ran two for both so I'm interested to see the responses you get. Also, I noticed I had a HP from a CA that I never gave permission to run my credit (not sure if permission is required?) and who i had sent a DV letter to with no response. We're in the same boat.

Message 2 of 5
Demetri98
Established Member

I did a little research on unauthorized HP's on credit report and came accross this:

http://www.ag.ny.gov/press-release/attorney-general-cuomo-obtains-compensation-new-yorkers-whose-cre...

not sure if you are in NY or not, but this is the bulk of the article:

Attorney General Cuomo Obtains Compensation For New Yorkers Whose Credit Reports Were Accessed Illegally

NEW YORK, NY (March 7, 2007) -

Attorney General Andrew M. Cuomo today announced a settlement affecting nearly 400 New York consumers whose credit reports were unlawfully accessed by an insurance company. Under the settlement, Administrators for the Professions, Inc. (AFP), a New York insurance company, is paying $229,600 in compensation to those consumers.

Between November 2000 and March 2006, AFP obtained more than 800 consumer credit reports on approximately 400 different individuals from the credit reporting agencies Equifax and TransUnion. An overwhelming majority of the consumers' credit reports were acquired for purposes not permitted by the federal and state Fair Credit Reporting Acts.

Credit reports may be legally obtained by agents such as potential credit grantors, employers, or insurers, or with a consumer's permission. AFP, however, illegally provided credit reports for use as investigative tools in civil litigation, for use in connection with insurance claims, and for satisfying requesters' personal curiosity. Credit reports were also unlawfully attained for investigators trying to locate parties in matrimonial and other personal matters, and for individuals looking to acquire information about an estranged spouse.

Attorney General Cuomo said, "Companies with access to a consumer=s credit report must be vigilant in ensuring that such access is not abused or used unlawfully. Consumers' privacy must be protected, and the integrity and confidentiality of a consumer=s credit report must be preserved."

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting.. I'm in Chicago but I would imagine the same laws apply.

I looked into disputing hard pulls to the credit bureaus and basically what I got was that they dont waste their time investigating those. There actually was not even an option on either of the websites to dispute those inquiries. I'm thinking of calling Capital One and seeing if they can help remove these "duplicate" pulls from my credit. As for the CA, not holding my breath.

Message 4 of 5
Demetri98
Established Member

i think you are right. I will call Capital One once I get a decision and then ask them to remove duplicate inquires. Doesnt seem like a tough task to do.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.