cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many credit cards needed to build credit?

tag
CreditOCDinCali
Regular Contributor

How many credit cards needed to build credit?

I currently have a 586 Fico score and here's what is helping me build:

Capital One Classic Platinum $300 CL enrolled in the STEPS program.

Capital One Quicksilver Mastercard $500 CL enrolled in the STEPS program

Fingerhut credit account $300 CL

Victorias Secret $250 CL

Is this enough to build with or should I apply for another credit card?

BTW I also have a car loan, was late 7 months ago, but I haven't been late since the beginning of 2015. I also have student loans that are current and never late.
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How many credit cards needed to build credit?

@CreditOCDinCali wrote:
I currently have a 586 Fico score and here's what is helping me build:

Capital One Classic Platinum $300 CL enrolled in the STEPS program.

Capital One Quicksilver Mastercard $500 CL enrolled in the STEPS program

Fingerhut credit account $300 CL

Victorias Secret $250 CL

Is this enough to build with or should I apply for another credit card?

BTW I also have a car loan, was late 7 months ago, but I haven't been late since the beginning of 2015. I also have student loans that are current and never late.

My score is around yours and all I have is a $300 Credit line with capital one and a 200 dollar one with fingerhut and people tell me I am on the right track  but to get one more card so it seems like you have nailed it

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

You are good on cards, do you have any type of installment loan? Mix of credit helps. I started from low 500s, currently all scores 730+. Started from 7 collections 0 positives.Used 5 cards, 2 share secured loans from credit unions and got PFDs and early exclusions on all my negatives.

Message 3 of 14
CreditOCDinCali
Regular Contributor

I believe my student loan and car loan would account for installment loans. My student loans began reporting in 2013 under FEDLOAN and are current and never late.
Message 4 of 14
CreditOCDinCali
Regular Contributor

I am also working on a few PFD and I disputed some incorrect information; Experian agreed to remove it. Just waiting for my score to update-crossing my fingers that I've crossed the 600 mark.
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yup student loan and car loan cover installments. Just work on those negatives now! When my last one came off i gained almost 70 pts Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 14
CreditOCDinCali
Regular Contributor

Wow that's great! I surely hope my scores increase significantly! That would be fantastic. I am currently disputing and trying to get 2 PFD's- only 5 collections total left to tackle then I'm good to go.
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I raised my kids as a single parent and didn't feel I could afford to to use credit so I didn't other that my car payments.  Now married and kids are gone so I really want a home of our own.  I'm trying to build credit and have two credit cards that I've obtained in the last 3-4 months.  Not having a habit of using them, I really don't except enough to show I use it,  I have a 1500 limit on one and a 800 limit on the other one, but I keep the owed amount at 25.00 combined and pay it off as soon as it reports to the bureau.  My question is, I keep reading that most people have about 7 cards. Would I build credit faster if I had more, or can I achieve the same thing with two?  

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous_0723 wrote:

I raised my kids as a single parent and didn't feel I could afford to to use credit so I didn't other that my car payments.  Now married and kids are gone so I really want a home of our own.  I'm trying to build credit and have two credit cards that I've obtained in the last 3-4 months.  Not having a habit of using them, I really don't except enough to show I use it,  I have a 1500 limit on one and a 800 limit on the other one, but I keep the owed amount at 25.00 combined and pay it off as soon as it reports to the bureau.  My question is, I keep reading that most people have about 7 cards. Would I build credit faster if I had more, or can I achieve the same thing with two?  

3-4 cards will be enough to build credit on.  is all about ultilization at the end and not how many cards you have. 

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you.  I have capital one quicksilver and capital one platinum.  Any recommendation for a couple more cards?

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.