cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many open accounts should I have to build my credit??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How many open accounts should I have to build my credit??

On credit karma it's showing I have 6 open accounts total.. 2 active that I have zero balance on and 4 closed from over 8 years ago. On the rating it's showing I'm in the poor section because I have few total accounts. Should I apply for more credit ???? To be in the good section it says I would need 11-20 open accounts ,and 21+ accounts to be in excellent
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How many open accounts should I have to build my credit??

Ideally you should have at least 3 revolving accounts open (credit cards) with only 1 card reporting a 1-9% balance for that card. An installment account (mortgage, auto, loan) is good for an ideal mix.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Ideally you should have at least 3 revolving accounts open (credit cards) with only 1 card reporting a 1-9%  balance for that card.   An installment account (mortgage, auto, loan) is good for an ideal mix.

Excellent summation of the basics!

It is precisely my goal to implement this soon, as I am currently using only cash.

No change to my lifestyle or quality of life, just simple replacement of cash utilization with appropriate credit lines.

Thanks for the post!

Message 3 of 5
CatOfSpades
Frequent Contributor

Yes, ignore that part of Credit Karma. It has a low overall impact on your score, and it's just there to show you why you don't have a perfect score. You can still have a really great score without that many old or new accounts on record. 

♠Queen of Spades♠
Apple Card MC $10,000
BofA Cash Rewards VS $10,000
5/3 Cash/Back WEMC $10,000
Discover IT $7,500
Message 4 of 5
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Once you at least get that third card, and then follow the utilization advice, you should see progress.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.