cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many rounds of GWs before you give up?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How many rounds of GWs before you give up?

Just curious how many times you guys recommend sending out a GW before finally throwing in the towel? 

What brings this question to fore for me is the 30 day late from 3 years ago that I'm trying to get Shell/Citi to delete. I sent the CEO and VP a GW email and got a call the next day from a woman in the executive office and she said that she received both emails (apparently emails to all of the executives go to the same place!) and as they told me back in August, they have to report whatever is accurate and are not going to be able to delete it. Geez, apparently, they have a record of my sending a GW letter 6 months ago in August trying to get it deleted then, too!

At what point do you give up? Or do you not and there are other avenues that can be pursued?

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
starry1
Valued Contributor

Re: How many rounds of GWs before you give up?

GW snail mail, you might get a different person.

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 2 of 26
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Just curious how many times you guys recommend sending out a GW before finally throwing in the towel? 

What brings this question to fore for me is the 30 day late from 3 years ago that I'm trying to get Shell/Citi to delete. I sent the CEO and VP a GW email and got a call the next day from a woman in the executive office and she said that she received both emails (apparently emails to all of the executives go to the same place!) and as they told me back in August, they have to report whatever is accurate and are not going to be able to delete it. Geez, apparently, they have a record of my sending a GW letter 6 months ago in August trying to get it deleted then, too!

At what point do you give up? Or do you not and there are other avenues that can be pursued?

IF they report it must be accurate.  They don't have to report at all.

Message 3 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have. I sent two letters snail mail to two different Shell addresses. I got one response back via snail mail that said "they must report what is accurate..." and basically mirrored exactly what the woman in the executive relations department said. Still haven't heard back on the letter I sent to the second Shell address, but the 30 day late is still showing on my report as of today so either it was ignored or they haven't opened it yet, or the letter I got back was a response to both letters I sent.

I'm sending out another GW tomorrow with a new strategy -- I've paper clipped a $20 bill to it. Smiley Wink I figure I'll see if the ol' $20 trick works with creditors the same way it works in Vegas. LOL! See: http://thetwentydollartrick.com

@starry1 wrote:

GW snail mail, you might get a different person.

Message 4 of 26
FLAJenn
Regular Contributor

Haha let us know how that one works. It'll be the new GW trend not just Vegas

Message 5 of 26
soILseminole
Contributor

someone please correct me if im wrong here, but 1 30 day late over 2 years old is not damaging your score anymore, unless you just want it gone for "housekeeping" 

Current: |MyFico TU-766| |MyFico EQ-737| |Amex EX-736| (May '13)
Message 6 of 26
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I keep going until I get it deleted.. .whatever it takes! Smiley Happy

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 7 of 26
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

until the usps runs out of stamps.

Message 8 of 26
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@fishbjc wrote:

until the usps runs out of stamps.

or stops delivering mail on weekdays!

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 9 of 26
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Or they threaten harrassment charges.  Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.