Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much to offer a collector

tag
trc1962
Regular Contributor

How much to offer a collector

I have several collections I am now in a position to take care of. However, the collection agencies add all kinds of crazy fees and I am hoping to not pay that. I want to clean up my credit report as soon as I can because of a job I may be applying for and I want to buy a house. Suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
duckfan4life
Established Member

Re: How much to offer a collector

Depends on the age, but if a couple years old, I'd go with a 50% offer. Worse they'll do is say no and possibly counter. Also, I would recommend asking for them to report it as "Paid in Full" vs "Settled". Will have a better impact on your credit that way. I had mixed results. A few agreed; some did not. And last, get any agreement in writing first.

Good luck!

Gardening from 02/14/2014 - 07/01/2014

$4500                 $6K                      $1K                   $2K                $5K                    $15K                  $7.5K
Message 2 of 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@trc1962 wrote:

I have several collections I am now in a position to take care of. However, the collection agencies add all kinds of crazy fees and I am hoping to not pay that. I want to clean up my credit report as soon as I can because of a job I may be applying for and I want to buy a house. Suggestions are greatly appreciated!

If these are past your states SOL you are most likely dealing with JDBs who paid pennies on the dollar for these. There are 2 ways to go if past SOL. The first is send a FOAD letter to the CA if you dont want to pay or hear from them. The second I would offer them a very lowball figure 20% tops and ask for deletion of the TL once you pay. You really have time on your side once they are past SOL.. Good luck Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 4
MortgageMinded
Frequent Contributor

The weird thing I have found out about some CA's is that they know the least they will take but most of the CSR's you will get on the phone work for commission; so they'll try to get as much out of you as possible. I am trying to bypass the gatekeepers to get to the person behind the curtain. Then and only then will I get a decent settlement.   Everyone says they pay pennies on the dollar, but as the one person said above, if you go for 50% you'd have a better shot than offering $10.

Good luck!!!!!!

Starting Score: Jan 2014 EQ: 595 TU: 575 EX: 550
Current Score: Feb 2015 EQ: 615 TU: 650 EX: 643
Goal Score: Hoping to join the 700 Club this year!

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.