cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much will my credit drop after this hits? PLEASE HELP!

tag
Sabrian31487
Regular Contributor

How much will my credit drop after this hits? PLEASE HELP!

Hey all, I am so sick to my stomach over this. I have been great with my credit and it shows because i am at 700+ fico on all reports. Always pay my credit cards on time and everything. Well a year ago me and my partner serperated and left an apartment complex that had certain damage (Not going to deny it, we did have some damages in the apartment). Well a week ago i received notice in the mail that the apartment complex sent us to a collection agency and they are charging me 4500.00 in apartment damages (Which im going to dispute because there is in no way 4500.00 in damages). My questions is how many point's is this going to take as it is my only bad thing on my credit (Besides a lot of inquiries). When we moved out they did know about it and were going to do a walk through inspection and never did. PLEASE CALM ME DOWN!!!! Will Banks start to close my credit accounts for this ding or is it unlikely as long as i have a good relationship with them?

Thanks for all answers

Discover IT 02/2013 (1000.00),Chase Freedom 02/2013 (3000.00),AmEx Blue Cash Everyday 06/2013 (3000.00)
Citi Simplicity 06/2013 (1000.00)
TU FICO - 718 , CK TU - 738 , Credit.com EX - 727, Quizzle.com - 720, CreditSesame.com - 720

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
surferchris
Valued Contributor

Re: How much will my credit drop after this hits? PLEASE HELP!

Sorry to hear about your issue.  I would think you would lose at least 50 points (certainly you will be below 700).  Of course this is just my opinion, so I wouldn't give it much credence...

Current Cards:
AmEx Hilton Honors Surpass//AmEx Platinum Card//Ann Taylor Rewards Mastercard//Capital One Platinum Card//Credit One AmEx//Credit One Platinum VISA//Fingerhut//Navy More Rewards AmEx//TruWest Platinum VISA//Aspire VISA//Costco Anywhere VISA//Lowes Advantage//Apple Card
Loans:
1 Mortgage/////Navy FCU Auto Loan (2020 Jaguar I-Pace)//Capital One Auto (2016 BMW i3)
Next Cards (4th QTR 2022):
Navy Flagship Rewards VISA//Chase Sapphire Preferred
Stats:
Scores: 700's // Inq's: 1 for mortgage // Util: 1% // AoOA: 21 yrs

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you take pictures of the apartment when you moved in and when you moved out. I always do and save them on a memory stick for reasons like this.

I don't thinks banks will start to close accounts but you could see cl decreases and or have a difficult time getting new credit for a while.

If you're going to be looking for a new apartment this could be brought up during the credit check.

Most states say there is basic wear and tare expected when living in an apartment. Also did you get your deposit back? I would want to see a list of damages and cost to fix them to make sure some of them were not basic wear and tare.
Message 3 of 9
Sabrian31487
Regular Contributor

No pictures taken, Did not get 500.00 pet deposit or 750 security deposit back. When we moved in the person who did the lease with us said the carpets were not new and would need to be replaced in 5 years and we lived there for 3 years. There is new management there though so they will probably deny that statement

Discover IT 02/2013 (1000.00),Chase Freedom 02/2013 (3000.00),AmEx Blue Cash Everyday 06/2013 (3000.00)
Citi Simplicity 06/2013 (1000.00)
TU FICO - 718 , CK TU - 738 , Credit.com EX - 727, Quizzle.com - 720, CreditSesame.com - 720

Message 4 of 9
Momof5
Frequent Contributor

This is a 'lessons learned' experience for you.  NEVER move out of a rental w/o pictures and a walkthrough with the Landlord!

Unfortunately, your hit could easily be 100 pts.  DH lost that many for a $3500 Apt CA.  Have offered PFD and it is a no go so he has to wait for it to age off.

Starting Score: 472
Current Score: EQ:703 TU: 729 EX:737
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 9
surferchris
Valued Contributor

@Momof5 wrote:

This is a 'lessons learned' experience for you.  NEVER move out of a rental w/o pictures and a walkthrough with the Landlord!

Unfortunately, your hit could easily be 100 pts.  DH lost that many for a $3500 Apt CA.  Have offered PFD and it is a no go so he has to wait for it to age off.

Agreed.

Current Cards:
AmEx Hilton Honors Surpass//AmEx Platinum Card//Ann Taylor Rewards Mastercard//Capital One Platinum Card//Credit One AmEx//Credit One Platinum VISA//Fingerhut//Navy More Rewards AmEx//TruWest Platinum VISA//Aspire VISA//Costco Anywhere VISA//Lowes Advantage//Apple Card
Loans:
1 Mortgage/////Navy FCU Auto Loan (2020 Jaguar I-Pace)//Capital One Auto (2016 BMW i3)
Next Cards (4th QTR 2022):
Navy Flagship Rewards VISA//Chase Sapphire Preferred
Stats:
Scores: 700's // Inq's: 1 for mortgage // Util: 1% // AoOA: 21 yrs

Message 6 of 9
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

OP if this is a new collection I would be calling the CA and arranging payment in exchange for it NOT reporting. Without pictures or a signed move out walk thru you have no leg to stand on. Good luck Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

That amount is pretty high though. I would want to see a list of things th hat had to be done to the place. Make sure both of your deposits are applied. Subtract any basic wear and tare like nail hole patching. Paint. Carpet shampooing.
You don't have picture but they don't either. At least not of the condition when you moved in. Ask to see them. Because this is a new manager and 99% of the time they don't have or make them.
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

And see if the OC can call it back from the collection agency so you could work something out
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.