cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How often can I dispute? Help! Midland Collection Agency is driving me insane!

tag
EmmyWannabeOrman
Contributor

How often can I dispute? Help! Midland Collection Agency is driving me insane!

Midland is reporting to all 3 CRA's...here's my story......I have a old t-mobile bill which they claim I owe $680.00. I first broke out t-mobiles contract in 2011 And I paid 300.00 to which I thought was everything I owed them. Well now 3 years later and now Midland has got their sneaky unethical hands all over this... I told them I don't  understand where you're getting $680.00 from and they claim that's the amount I owe t-mobile. So two weeks ago they reported it to the CRAs... I disputed it on all 3 CRA's and Today I got an email from Transunion stating, "changes to my credit report." I logged on and saw they're still on my CR's! The only change is now it says I owe $669.00. I called t-mobile and they verified that I really do owe $680.00! So now 3 years later I'm dealing with this....this has caught me off guard as well hit my credit soul so hard. So where do I start? Please help.

Cap One QS 1950, NFCU 7000, NavChek 6500, Cap One secured 750, IFCU 1000, IFCU (overdraft line of credit) 1000, Express 3100, NY&Co 2650, Victoria's Secret 2650, Exxon/Mobil 300, Zales 500, Kay's 900, Walmart 3500, Bloomingdales 1000, Belks 850, Paypal Smartconnect 1300, Chase Freedom 2000,Chase Slate 500. Gap 4000, BP 3000, Amazon store card 3500
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: How often can I dispute? Help! Midland Collection Agency is driving me insane!

There are two processes for contesting the debt.

One is by way of dispute of its accuracy under the FCRA, and the other is to request debt verification with the debt collector under the FDCPA.

Since you have already disputed under the FCRA and they have verifified, that option is concluded unless you can support a new dispute.

Verification of a dispute does not require that they provide documentation, or "prove" its legitimacy.  They are required only to conduct a reasonable investigation, and make a determination based on that investigation.  Since the OC is most likely the basis for their investigation, and the OC has also told you that they agree, it appears there would be little chance that the debt collector did not conduct a reasonable investigation.

You can file a second dispute provided it is not substantailly the same as your prior dispute.  A second dispute is not substantially the same if it presents new information in support of the dispute that was not previously submitted.  If you have no additional documentation to support a new investigation, they can dismiss any renewed diespute as "frivolous or irrelevant."

The second process is to send a request for debt validation to the debt collection under the provisions of FDCPA 609(b).

On the plus side, a DV request does not require any documenatation in support of the request.

On the negative side, it does not compel a response on their part.  A DV request, if timely, imposes a cease collection bar on them until such time as they might choose to provide verification.  If your DV is not timely, meaing not sent within 39 days of their dunning notice, it does not invoke a cease collection bar, and they can ignore it and proceed with their collection activities.

As for what you might hope to obtain with a DV, it also does not require them to provide any supporting documenation.  They must simply obtain verification, and communicate that finding to you.  With the statement from the OC that they concur, it would appear that verification of the debt by the debt collector would be pro-forma.

To contest the amount of the debt would most likely now require that you bring civil action, forcing them to provide supporting documentation of the amounts making up the debt.  Neither the dispute or DV processes entitle the consumer to documentation.

Message 2 of 3
EmmyWannabeOrman
Contributor

Re: How often can I dispute? Help! Midland Collection Agency is driving me insane!

Wow... Thanks for that information. I will give it a second shot  I appreciate this info tremendously! 

Cap One QS 1950, NFCU 7000, NavChek 6500, Cap One secured 750, IFCU 1000, IFCU (overdraft line of credit) 1000, Express 3100, NY&Co 2650, Victoria's Secret 2650, Exxon/Mobil 300, Zales 500, Kay's 900, Walmart 3500, Bloomingdales 1000, Belks 850, Paypal Smartconnect 1300, Chase Freedom 2000,Chase Slate 500. Gap 4000, BP 3000, Amazon store card 3500
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.