Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How should I handle this CA

tag
johnwantsahouse
Contributor

How should I handle this CA

I received a letter from a CA for DTV for something back in 2009 for equipment.  This isn't the first letter from them and it's not on any of my reports.  I returned it so don't beleive I owe the debt.  

I'm trying to purchase a house and my scores are good enough right now.  What should I do to make sure this doesn't appear on my report.  The letter they sent was a settlement for 50%.  I'm afraid that if I pay it, they will throw it on the reports and it will drop my score.  Also, the letter was a settlement that had to be met by 6/5, so I'm worried if I call them, they won't take that still and I'd have to ask them not to place it on the reports if I pay it. 

Should I leave it alone until after the house? It's been out there for a few years and they've sent letters before.  I did opt out about 3 weeks ago.  The letter was mailed before I applied for a mortgage so I don't beleive they mailed the letter cause of seeing I applied for a mortgage.

Current Score:EQ-660 (FICO) / TU-677 (FICO) (3/10/14)
6/8/12 Score:EQ-640 / TU-650 / EX-656 (All FICO Lender Pulls 6/8/12)
6/5/12 Score:EQ-640 / TU-638 / EX-656 (All FICO Lender Pulls 6/5/12)
6/1/12 Score:EQ-640 (FICO) / TU-618 (FICO) /EX-670 (FAKO)
Starting Score:EQ-542 TU-574 (4/30/2012)
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

Re: How should I handle this CA

@johnwantsahouse wrote:

I received a letter from a CA for DTV for something back in 2009 for equipment.  This isn't the first letter from them and it's not on any of my reports.  I returned it so don't beleive I owe the debt.  

I'm trying to purchase a house and my scores are good enough right now.  What should I do to make sure this doesn't appear on my report.  The letter they sent was a settlement for 50%.  I'm afraid that if I pay it, they will throw it on the reports and it will drop my score.  Also, the letter was a settlement that had to be met by 6/5, so I'm worried if I call them, they won't take that still and I'd have to ask them not to place it on the reports if I pay it. 

Should I leave it alone until after the house? It's been out there for a few years and they've sent letters before.  I did opt out about 3 weeks ago.  The letter was mailed before I applied for a mortgage so I don't beleive they mailed the letter cause of seeing I applied for a mortgage.

How soon are you looking to start the mortgage process? (EDIT: I see you already started)

MOST experiences seem to indicate if you pay before reporting, they have no real reason to report since credit reporting is used in a CA's situation as leverage to pay. If there is no debt, they likely won't report.

There is nothing to keep them from reporting, but I have paid a couple before reporting and none of them have ever show up. Although I am sure someone will chime in saying they had this happen to them

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 2 of 3
johnwantsahouse
Contributor

Re: How should I handle this CA

I basically started the morgage process already.  I submitted an app with Wells Fargo and the lady emailed me Friday saying she beleives I will be approved for the amount I requested.  She said to let her know if I want FHA or USDA and she'd submit to the Underwriter for pre approval.  I have the house picked out, so if they give me pre approval, I will proceed.

I'm just worried if I call them, they will say no we only will if you PIF now or something and won't honor the 50% settlement.  

Current Score:EQ-660 (FICO) / TU-677 (FICO) (3/10/14)
6/8/12 Score:EQ-640 / TU-650 / EX-656 (All FICO Lender Pulls 6/8/12)
6/5/12 Score:EQ-640 / TU-638 / EX-656 (All FICO Lender Pulls 6/5/12)
6/1/12 Score:EQ-640 (FICO) / TU-618 (FICO) /EX-670 (FAKO)
Starting Score:EQ-542 TU-574 (4/30/2012)
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.