Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How should I proceed with this?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How should I proceed with this?

Short story- They filed in local court against me.  I called them up and made an offer that they accepted as---"This letter confirms that the above referrenced account has been settled in full, so long as your payment is honored by your financial institution you will have no further obligation on this account, your account will be closed and a motion to dismiss with prejudice will be filed with the court". Signed and dated by the attorney.  For reference, I settled for less than the full amount by about 1300.  I even have recieved a1099-C from the creditor for $1474.25, which was that amount and some change.

So guess what shows up on my Credit Karma today?  ANOTHER collection for the amount of $1433 from the SAME company, for the SAME account!  GRRR! 

So how do I proceed from here?  Can I sue the pants off them already lol...wishful thinking Smiley Very Happy

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: How should I proceed with this?

It is common for settlements first to clear the accounting branch of a creditor, who will only credit the amount paid against the current, total balance.

The file then moves on for final processing, which includes final determination that the debt is discharged, and resulting update of the debt balance to $0.

My guess would be that they have not yet completed all processing, and have only to date reported the payment.

I would contact them and make sure that they intend to finalize processing by updating the debt balance to $0 and closing all collection activities.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.