cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How should a foreclosure appear on a credit report recoups their loss

tag
DrummerGeek

How should a foreclosure appear on a credit report recoups their loss

I had a foreclosure 4 years ago on a VA loan. Between the property sale and the VA insurance, the bank recouped 100% of the remaining balance of the loan. However, they are reporting me as having that remaining balance as my current balance to my credit reports. After fighting to get some information for a couple of weeks, they told me that because I did not redeem the loan, that they would continue to show the balance even though they are not owed said balance. Is this normal? It doesn't sound legal to me.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How should a foreclosure appear on a credit report recoups their loss

Are you certain the lender resold the property?

Message 2 of 5
DrummerGeek

Yes, from public record. I am also sure that they claimed the VA insurance because the VA told me.

Message 3 of 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Bumping for others....typically if a foreclosure occurs, the balance will show on your report up to the point when the property sells. Once sold, then usually the balance goes to $0. I'm not too familiar with the process though.

Message 4 of 5
missionpossible
Valued Member

I was foreclosed February of this year.  The property sold in June.  T/U and Equifax still had a balance showing. I disputed and it now reports at zero. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.