cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How soon after Mortgage to apply for added credit?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How soon after Mortgage to apply for added credit?

Hi there- I apologize in advance if I'm posting in the wrong forum, but I think the topic is related to improving (upward arc) one's credit.

I've been in rebuilding mode for about a year, super hard work in the past four months to qualify for a mortgage which we are closiing next Wed.   I know I need to let the dust settle around the mortgage, and let it hit my reports.    I also understand from the myfico simulator that my scores will dip slightly with the mortgage (which is wierd- you'd think that if someone applies for and obtains something as crazy scrutinzing as a mortgage, your score wouldn't drop- but it does it seems).

I want to get new appliances, and also use the new credit to improve my score.   I plan to apply for financing through a no-low interest card that some of the larger appliance places offer.  My question is really around how long to wait in order to best use teh new credit to help build the score post mortgage.  Any ideas? 

Thanks, and if this belongs in another forum, please moderator, move it.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How soon after Mortgage to apply for added credit?

Congrats on the new house. Seen your posts in the mortgage forum. I know you must be super excited to finally be getting those keys. I'm kind of in the same position and was wondering the same thing. I've read that you can open another line of credit as soon as everything gets recorded with the county and your loan is funded. Once you sign all the paperwork, it is more than likely that the deed actually gets recorded either later that day or the next day or so.

Message 2 of 3
AutoBot
Established Contributor

Re: How soon after Mortgage to apply for added credit?

I think you should be good to go 1 or 2 days after closing to apply for credit.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.