Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Avoid New Baddies/Surprises -- Mortgage, Pre Settlement

tag
surbee
Valued Member

How to Avoid New Baddies/Surprises -- Mortgage, Pre Settlement

hello all!

thanks to all of your wisdom here, i have been able to secure deletes with IC System, AFNI and Jefferson Capital. i also just PIF'd with CapOne and a credit union. also in the works is a cleanup of erroneous reporting by the Depatment of Education. then there are some DV's and more PFD's in the mail. i have lots of clean up to do as you may be gathering!

i am working furiously to clean a bunch up in anticipation of a new hard pull for a mortgage app (FHA) and so the question is...

i have read about new CA's coming out of the woodwork following a mortgage application. (Northland did in the past few weeks as an example.) is there a way to be proactive in potential unknown baddies i may have completely lost sight of or have fallen outside of SOL's? i am nervous about any surprises or long lost accounts popping up. Smiley Sad i have scorewatch right now. not sure if that will really assist... but anything else?

advice appreciated. 

-------------
06/2013 -- TU 690 - EX 674 - EQ 673
03/2013 -- TU 638 - EX 685 - EQ 654
01/2013 -- TU 607 - EX 573 - EQ 597

GOAL -- All Above 700... I'll get there soon enough!
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
starry1
Valued Contributor

Re: How to Avoid New Baddies/Surprises -- Mortgage, Pre Settlement

Opt out.

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 2 of 6
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

www.optoutprescreen.com

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 3 of 6
Mickey11
Regular Contributor

Pros and Cons of opting out?

Starting Score: TU 660 EQ 623 EX 644
Current Score: TU 670 EQ 683 EX ???
Goal Score: 700 on all 3

Freedom: $3k, CSP: $5k, Chase Disney Premier: $5k, AmEx Zync: NPSL, Cap1 NH: $750, Cap1 Plat: $750, USC CU: $500
Message 4 of 6
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@Shogun wrote:

www.optoutprescreen.com

I see this all the time. It does nothing for the mortgage process. Opting out is promotional reasons. Yes, I am aware that JDBs and some other CA's use this as a cheaper/affordable way to 'sniff' but most don't if they already have sniffer services through the CRAs

I opted out long before I applied, 18 months. If a collection agency already has permissible purpose, they already have the services in place that all three CRAs sell to sniff potential applications. All three companies have DEPARTMENTS dedicates to providing their clients, the CA's with all the resources to help them collect on older debt. They have analysts whose sole job is to run through their clients debt database and help them decide what debt is collectable. You run a mortgage application, they will know it. Period. 

Example? See this quote from Experians business services website. http://www.experian.com/consumer-information/collections-products.html

"Collection Triggers is a robust, flexible account monitoring tool that quickly and effectively monitors identifying information on individual unpaid accounts. Clients choose the information they want Experian to track daily and when new information is found, the client is immediately notified."

It may stop some JDBs that are sniffing around, but if you had debt out there, it can come back at mortgage time. And it usually does.

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 5 of 6
dobirdsmommy
Established Contributor

@rckstrscott wrote:

@Shogun wrote:

www.optoutprescreen.com

I see this all the time. It does nothing for the mortgage process. Opting out is promotional reasons. Yes, I am aware that JDBs and some other CA's use this as a cheaper/affordable way to 'sniff' but most don't if they already have sniffer services through the CRAs

I opted out long before I applied, 18 months. If a collection agency already has permissible purpose, they already have the services in place that all three CRAs sell to sniff potential applications. All three companies have DEPARTMENTS dedicates to providing their clients, the CA's with all the resources to help them collect on older debt. They have analysts whose sole job is to run through their clients debt database and help them decide what debt is collectable. You run a mortgage application, they will know it. Period. 

Example? See this quote from Experians business services website. http://www.experian.com/consumer-information/collections-products.html

"Collection Triggers is a robust, flexible account monitoring tool that quickly and effectively monitors identifying information on individual unpaid accounts. Clients choose the information they want Experian to track daily and when new information is found, the client is immediately notified."

It may stop some JDBs that are sniffing around, but if you had debt out there, it can come back at mortgage time. And it usually does.

-scott

+1 . I applied for my Chase car loan. I applied 1/8/13... WITHIN 2 days I had a letter from Midland asking me if I "found" or recently "acquired" some new money to pay them off.. PFTTT NEVER NEVER NEVER!

I was told by the LO that they have triggers they pay people for.. If someone runs a FACRO, or KROLL, or Any loan, CA pay people to sniff people out and pop out of the woodwork they come.  Its disgusting.

I am opted out and they were able to do a soft pull on my reports. As long as they have proof of collection or monies due to them they can soft pull for collection purposes. Here is how it read on my TU

C via MIDLAND CREDIT MGMT INC

8875 AERO DR STE 200
SAN DIEGO, CA  92123

(800) 825-8131

Requested On: 01/09/2013

Permissible Purpose: COLLECTION

building since 2011 Wallet:ME: Walmart 3k;Barclays Rewards 10k, Venture 18k; Slate 5k; Freedom 10k; overstock 4.8k, SGV2.5k; WEMC 20k 1.5 Rewards, Gamestop 1.2k, Fingerhut 3k; 2 NMAC Leases , VS 1.75k, BH 1.62k, Express 1.6k, Avenue 1.75k, JCrew 5k, HSN 1.47k, Torrid 1.55k, Roamans 1.4k, Jessica London 1.54k, kings direct 1.7k, Buckle 1.4k, WW 1.65k, ........ baddies:Fed Tax Lien
DH: 1750 capital one fh 2000, AU - VS, BH, HSN, WEMC, SPGV. Freedom, Slate, Venture, Barclays
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.