Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to DV?

tag
Cynthia1123
Contributor

How to DV?

Hello guys, I need a little help, I have a couple of things on my CR, how do I know whom to DV?

All responses greatly appreciated !

CYnthia

My Fico Score :554 (07/26/13)
Goal:720

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: How to DV?

A DV is a debt collection practices issue under the FDCPA, and relates only to debt collectors.

Requests sent to the OC are not part of the DV process, so you dont DV an OC.

It is a process that attempts to weed-out spurious collections, such as a debt collector simply obtaining a list of similar names and addresses, and shotguning collection letters in an attempt to collect.

A DV does not actually require the debt collector to provide verification/validation.  It imposes a penalty on them until they do provide verification by preventing them from any further collection activities until such time as they have informed the consumer that they have investigated the debt, and have reasonable basis to show that teh debt is valid, and that you are the actual party responsible for the debt.  They have an incentive, but not a requirement, to respond.

The right to impose such a cease collection bar has a limited window.  A DV only imposes a cease collection bar if either sent before the debt collector has sent dunning notice, or within 30 days of that notice.

Message 2 of 6
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita
Cynthia1123
Contributor

Thanks

My Fico Score :554 (07/26/13)
Goal:720

Message 4 of 6
10kbkb
Valued Member

@RobertEG wrote:

A DV is a debt collection practices issue under the FDCPA, and relates only to debt collectors.

What if the OC is the one listed on your CR?? 

Message 5 of 6
DaBears
Senior Contributor

@10kbkb wrote:

@RobertEG wrote:

What if the OC is the one listed on your CR?? 

You would send a Direct Dispute letter to the OC.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.