Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to deal with a collection?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to deal with a collection?

I've been checking my credit through my Capital One Credit Tracker and saw a balance for $145 from a BERKS CC so then I pulled a free credit report from Equifax so far just to see what it was regarding. It is medical related back from Feburary 2010 and it's status is "D - Unpaid". This is probably from when I broke my wrist and had to get surgery but this was when I was 18 and still living with my mother and she dealt with all of the paperwork and finances so I had no knowledge of this until now. I was wondering how I go about tackling this issue. I have no issue paying the full amount but I was reading that even if you pay it off that it still remains on your credit history.

Any help or information is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Edit: Actually in college, living on campus, but place of permanent residence still at home with the mother.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How to deal with a collection?

@Anonymous wrote:

I've been checking my credit through my Capital One Credit Tracker and saw a balance for $145 from a BERKS CC so then I pulled a free credit report from Equifax so far just to see what it was regarding. It is medical related back from Feburary 2010 and it's status is "D - Unpaid". This is probably from when I broke my wrist and had to get surgery but this was when I was 18 and still living with my mother and she dealt with all of the paperwork and finances so I had no knowledge of this until now. I was wondering how I go about tackling this issue. I have no issue paying the full amount but I was reading that even if you pay it off that it still remains on your credit history.

Any help or information is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Edit: Actually in college, living on campus, but place of permanent residence still at home with the mother.

I would call the doctor or the hospital and ask them to recall the collection and then settle it directly with them. If they wont do that then you would attempt the PFD with the CA directly. If the CA isnt wlling to remove the TL then I would Google the HIPAA Process and use it. Welcome to My Fico & Good luck Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.