Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to deal with charge offs?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to deal with charge offs?

Hello, I'm curious how to go about dealing with charge off accounts. I don't want to re age this debt as several of my charge off's are from 2012-2013 . I would like to know the best statagies as how to get these accounts removed . Is PFD possible ? I have paid most of my collection account even though some are still on my report with a 0.00 balance . I'm fine with that because I know it looks better than unpaid . I currently only have 1 collection on transunion, And 1 on equifax that are unpaid . 0 on experian. So now I wanna get the charge offs paid and removed . Thank you in advance for your input .

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
MrTom
Frequent Contributor

Re: How to deal with charge offs?

WHat credit card companies are the CO from?

What collection companies are the CA from?

Different Banks and Collection comapnies are different to deal with.

Starting Score: May 23, 2016 EQ 537 TU 518 EX 548
Recent Scores: EQ 839 TU 824 EX 821
Goal Score: 840
Current Vantage 3.0: 808
Mortgage Scores August 18 2017: EQ5 684 TU4 692 EX2 690
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MrTom wrote:

WHat credit card companies are the CO from?

What collection companies are the CA from?

Different Banks and Collection comapnies are different to deal with.

Charge offs:

CenterPoint Energy 1/2014

CC Area Teachers Credit Union DOFD 8/2015

Covington Credit 5/2013

Service Loan Company 7/2013

Sunbelt Credit 8/2013

World Finace 1/2012

Collections:

Diversified Consultants DOFD 6/2013 Paid

Plaza Services 7/2013

Portfolio Recovery 5/2012 Paid

Credit Protection 4/2011

Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The fact that a creditor has charged delinquent debt to profit and loss is basically an internal accounting measure (and often a regulatory requirment) that does not relieve the consumer of continued obligation for the entire debt, and does not prevent continued attempts to collect on the debt or to report continued delinquency.

As such, the fact that a CO has been taken and reported does not otherwise affect the obligation for the full debt, and the continued accrual of delinquencies.

Many creditors will discontinue the reporting of additional monthly delinquencies after reporting a CO, but are normally not precluded from doing so.

Once taken, a CO remains in the consumer's credit file, even if the debt is subsequently paid, and is scored as a major derog.

Removal of a CO occurs only by reporting of deletion by the creditor, or by exclusion from your credit report no later than 7 years plus 180 days from the DOFD.

The exclusion of a CO is not re-aged by any other actions, such as payment or non-payment, and has a date-certain based ONLY on the DOFD.  See FCRA 605(c).

Paying does not result in deletion.  Yes, you can negotiate a pay for deletion of a reported charge-off, but acceptance is discretionary on the part of the creditor, and usually hard to obtain in view of the published credit reporting policy of the CRAs, which instructs creditors not to delete based on payment of the debt.

The CRA policy is a business policy intended to preserve the completeness and thus saleability of their product, credit reports.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.