Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to determine the SOL date?

tag
George888
New Contributor

How to determine the SOL date?

Hi,

My state's SOL is 4 years.  Can somebody please tell me how to determine when the SOL is over?  

Would it be 4 years after the DOFD?  Or 4 years after the charge off?

Thank you,

George

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: How to determine the SOL date?

It depends upon your state SOL statute.

Most state SOLs normally begin with "date of cause of action," which is the date that you became deficient in the terms of your account agreement, and thus subject to potential legal action.  Yes, that is in most cases the same as your DOFD for credit reporting purposes.

However, some states base it upon date of last payment, and some provide for reset based on certain actions, such as payments or firm offers to pay.

Also, be careful that the period you are referencing is the period that applies to they type of debt that is delinquent.

Date of charge-off is rarely, if ever, related to SOL, as that is an internal bookeeping measure on the part of the creditor to which the consumer is not part.

Dig up a copy of your state SOL statute, and read all of its conditions.

Message 2 of 4
George888
New Contributor

Thank you Robert. That is excellent information and advice. I will do a google search for my state's SOL. I live in California.

Do you know which words I should search to find it? Perhaps "California statute of limitations law".

Or which government agency would have it?

Thank you again.

George
Message 3 of 4
George888
New Contributor

Found it.  For anybody who wants to look it up , it would be the Attorney General for your state.  

Also, this page on MyFICO Forums was helpful:  

State Resources

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/State-Resources/m-p/376615

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.