Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to dispute on Experian

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to dispute on Experian

I also forgot to mention my cra are showing that I missed a recent payment, but I don't have any accounts or credit cards that are open to be paying on.  They are all old accounts, so how do they get information that I missed a recent payment?  How do I find out who they are talking about?  Sorry if I sound vague, I'm very new to this and don't know the right verbage to use...be patient with me...thanks
Message 1 of 12
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How to dispute on Experian

Thank you for your reply, I'm going to call and bug the utility company's.  Hopefully this works and they take my payment....I will let you know...

TU: 08/04/08  591
EQ: 08/04/08 594
EX:   08/04/08 599
Message 8 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
jbh
Established Contributor

Basically you just request to dispute. This feature exists on any online experian report (Whether through their site or myfico). They will provide you with a set of pre-set answers as to why you are disputing. Choose the one that fits and type a message (usually 120 characters, max) that explains your intention/purpose and submit it.

You can also feel free to search "DV" or Debt Validation on this forum and learn how to send a DV letter to the creditor directly.
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your reply.  I was not able to complete the online option of disputing Experian.  Everytime I tried to answer their questions it tells me that something was not valid and for my protection it could not complete the dispute.  I was able to get the address and want to send them a letter disputing some old accounts that should be deleted since TU and EQ have deleted them. 
Also, I called the Gas co which I had a small collection of $54. which I wanted to pay off they told me to contact Progessive Management, which I did and left a message for a man named Josh.  Well I just received a call back from their office but it was a man named Mke anyway first thing he asked me was did I get this information off of my credit report. I said no from the Gas co. which I did contact them also.  He started to ask me my address and I immediately said I would just like your address so that I can pay this off.  He was reluctant to give it to me right away because kept asking what my address what and I said I 'm sure you could get that off of the reports you pull from my Credit report, than he mentioned an old address and I said I don't live there anymore and you will have my new address when I send in the payment and he asked if it would be by check or credit card.  I said I'm not sure right now (he got me all worried)  I told him I just need the address so he gave it to me and I hung up...five minutes later a lady calls me asking for someone elses name, not mine.  I said you have the wrong number. Don't know if that was related or not or I sent the wheels in motion for them to come after me for the old accounts that were already deleted from my credit reports.  How should  I send in my payment to them?  How much information should I be giving them?  Thanks for all the help.Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jbh wrote:
Basically you just request to dispute. This feature exists on any online experian report (Whether through their site or myfico). They will provide you with a set of pre-set answers as to why you are disputing. Choose the one that fits and type a message (usually 120 characters, max) that explains your intention/purpose and submit it.

You can also feel free to search "DV" or Debt Validation on this forum and learn how to send a DV letter to the creditor directly.

My understanding is that instead of using Experian's online dispute button, one would CMRRR one's dispute requests directly to Experian's address, for the sake of the paper trail. My understanding is that an online dispute (less than a fax) does not provide the same paper trail as a CMRRR. And it's better to have one's ducks in a row from the beginning, than to have to backtrack.
Message 4 of 12
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

twosuite4u wrote:
Thank you for your reply.  I was not able to complete the online option of disputing Experian.  Everytime I tried to answer their questions it tells me that something was not valid and for my protection it could not complete the dispute.  I was able to get the address and want to send them a letter disputing some old accounts that should be deleted since TU and EQ have deleted them. 
Also, I called the Gas co which I had a small collection of $54. which I wanted to pay off they told me to contact Progessive Management, which I did and left a message for a man named Josh.  Well I just received a call back from their office but it was a man named Mke anyway first thing he asked me was did I get this information off of my credit report. I said no from the Gas co. which I did contact them also.  He started to ask me my address and I immediately said I would just like your address so that I can pay this off.  He was reluctant to give it to me right away because kept asking what my address what and I said I 'm sure you could get that off of the reports you pull from my Credit report, than he mentioned an old address and I said I don't live there anymore and you will have my new address when I send in the payment and he asked if it would be by check or credit card.  I said I'm not sure right now (he got me all worried)  I told him I just need the address so he gave it to me and I hung up...five minutes later a lady calls me asking for someone elses name, not mine.  I said you have the wrong number. Don't know if that was related or not or I sent the wheels in motion for them to come after me for the old accounts that were already deleted from my credit reports.  How should  I send in my payment to them?  How much information should I be giving them?  Thanks for all the help.Smiley Happy

Never ever call a CA. They will say anything to get you to do something, it is easy to get flustered, they often record your phone call, and a CA's word is not their bond.

How did you know about the late? Closed baddies like a CO or a CA can add a late to your CR if you still have a balance due. I have a CO'd Verizon Wireless acct that continues to add a late each month two yrs after the CO. However, FICO doesn't read it as a late, so it doesn't bother me.

Expect more calls from Progressive. They traced the call.

Who is reporting on this gas account? When were you first delinquent? And have you made any payments since? What state are you in?

Message Edited by llecs on 08-07-2008 07:23 AM
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

twosuite4u wrote:
Also, I called the Gas co which I had a small collection of $54. which I wanted to pay off they told me to contact Progessive Management, which I did and left a message for a man named Josh.  Well I just received a call back from their office but it was a man named Mke anyway first thing he asked me was did I get this information off of my credit report. I said no from the Gas co. which I did contact them also.  He started to ask me my address and I immediately said I would just like your address so that I can pay this off.  He was reluctant to give it to me right away because kept asking what my address what and I said I 'm sure you could get that off of the reports you pull from my Credit report, than he mentioned an old address and I said I don't live there anymore and you will have my new address when I send in the payment and he asked if it would be by check or credit card.  I said I'm not sure right now (he got me all worried)  I told him I just need the address so he gave it to me and I hung up...five minutes later a lady calls me asking for someone elses name, not mine.  I said you have the wrong number. Don't know if that was related or not or I sent the wheels in motion for them to come after me for the old accounts that were already deleted from my credit reports.  How should  I send in my payment to them?  How much information should I be giving them?  Thanks for all the help.

Never ever call a CA. They will say anything to get you to do something, it is easy to get flustered, they often record your phone call, and a CA's word is not their bond.

How did you know about the late? Closed baddies like a CO or a CA can add a late to your CR if you still have a balance due. I have a CO'd Verizon Wireless acct that continues to add a late each month two yrs after the CO. However, FICO doesn't read it as a late, so it doesn't bother me.

Expect more calls from Progressive. They traced the call.

Who is reporting on this gas account? When were you first delinquent? And have you made any payments since? What state are you in?

Well it is too late, at the time I was so nervous, that they asked me for my ss# and I gave it too them.  I just wanted to see if I had anything else with them and they said they needed my SS# to find out.  Well I guess I opened a can of worms with them...and just when I was so close to getting into the 600 club.  I want to pay off these two utility bills, one is for the Gas co. and the other for the water co.  I moved out of state and they say I did not pay them.  I live in Ca. and I do want to pay them and get them off of my collections.  I found out about them by pulling my fico scores from fico.com.  Can anyone tell me how I go about paying them, what method of payment should I use, and do I send a pfd letter with the payment, although I have read sometimes they ignore those.  Thanks for all of your help.

EQ: 08/04/08  596
EX:  08/04/08  599
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

If they are utility bills, call or email the OC. Explain the situation, and ask if they are willing to accept payment.

I went through this with a phone and cable bill after moving. It took some doing and back and forth with different departments, but eventually they accepted payment and pulled the collection. YMMV
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your reply, I'm going to call and bug the utility company's.  Hopefully this works and they take my payment....I will let you know...

EQ: 08/04/08 594
EX:   08/04/08 599
Message 8 of 12
p-
Valued Contributor

UPDATE -

All 3 CB's have online disputing now... They'll even let you pull a report (no score) for free to look over potential negative accounts.

EXPERIAN 

https://www.experian.com/consumer/cac/InvalidateSession.do?code=DISPUTE&channel=8342

EQUIFAX:

https://www.ai.equifax.com/CreditInvestigation/jsp/ECC_Welcome_User.jsp

TRANSUNION: 

http://annualcreditreport.transunion.com/entry/disputeonline
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do I need to order a report to dispute info on my cedit report?
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.