Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to dispute, please help

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to dispute, please help

I have been rebuilding my credit, got my Experian up to 717, applied for BCE AMEX, approved 10k. 

Then I tried to apply for Discover it and PNC Visa (after many pre-screened offers with fixed APRs) and got denied to my surprise. 

Rechecked my experian and the score dropped to 576!

I have an old debt from OC (credit card). that surfaced for the first time (never previously reported before to experian). I am not sure what the DOFD is either, but we are looking at ~6 years now. 

Recent balance
$5,454 as of 10/11/2016

On record until
Jun 2017

Status
Account charged off. $5,454 written off. $5,454 past due as of Oct 2016.

Date of status
09/2016

First reported
09/2016

Charge Off as of Oct 2016, Sep 2016

Balance history
The following data will appear in the following format:
Date: account balance / date payment received / scheduled payment amount / actual amount paid
Sep 2016: $5,454 / Mar 26, 2010 / No data / No data
As of Sep 2016 your credit limit/high balance was $6,000

Does this seem correct? How can it be past due "as of oct 2016?" 

Furthermore, how can the reported account history begin in 9/2016? 

Finally, how can a balance be reported as of 9/16, but payment being shown as 3/26/20110?

How would I best dispute this? 

Do I challenge the history, amounts, DOFD, the fact that I received no notification from the OC, etc? 

Thanks very much for your help! 
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Re: How to dispute, please help

It can still be past due as of October 2016 if it hasn't been paid. As for the rest I can't help.
Message 2 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The account apparently had a date of first delinquency sometime in mid-2010 (based on the stated expected exclusion date of mid-2017).

A creditor is not required to report all (or in fact, any) monthly delinquencies.

The requirment under the FCRA is that what is reported cannot knowingly be inaccurate.

The debt was charged-off at some prior, unspecified time, and the creditor then decided to first report the account and CO in 09/2016.

There is nothing improper in delaying their reporting until 2016, or in lack of reporting of each and every prior monthly delinquency.

I do not see anyting that is clearly inaccurate.

If you do dispute, the creditor could decide to update their reporting by including each and every monthly delinquency from 2010 to date.

That is not likely to be beneficial.......

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks very helpful. 

Upon further investigation, I learned that the creditor reported to all 3 bureaus. I disputed TU and EQ so far, mainly on the fact that they have different dates for DOFD. One says 3/1/2010 another says 3/26/2010. 

I didn't do anything with EX yet. 

Worst case, it get's removed soon enough (next year), but I rather get it out now. 

Message 4 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

A DOFD is only reported as the month/year.  It does not include a day of the month.  FCRA 623(a)(5).

Thus, the two reportings are the same as they relate to DOFD.

The CRA will likely simply inform you that the reporting only includes mo/yyyy, and is accurate.

Message 5 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

A DOFD is only reported as the month/year.  It does not include a day of the month.  FCRA 623(a)(5).

Thus, the two reportings are the same as they relate to DOFD.

The CRA will likely simply inform you that the reporting only includes mo/yyyy, and is accurate.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Completely understand - but then would you be able to help me understand why a specific day was provided as well in both scenarios that were quite different? 

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Based on what you're telling me - it is also worth asking: 

Am I pretty much "handcuffed" until it goes away next year? 

Do I have any options at this point? 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.