Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to dispute this acct

tag
vikingpride01
Valued Member

How to dispute this acct

I have a car repossession that I am trying to get deleted. According to Transunion it is scheduled to come off 8/2014 but if I want to have it removed before then. The balance they are reporting on my credit report is $9,930 however they sent me a letter stating my balance is $10, 204.   Can I dispute this acct as too old and ask to be removed being it will fall off in Aug. Or should I dispute it as balances being different. I live in NC and not sure what the SOL are for this acct.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
KellyP25721
Frequent Contributor

Re: How to dispute this acct

Had a similar situation.  The ex-wife didn't make her car payments and it was repo'd.  They reported an past due balance of one amount and an outstanding balance of a higher amount.  There are allowed to tack on interest and reasonable fees associated with the repo and sale of the vehicle.

Starting Score: 573 (EX Faco) | Current Scores: EX(Fico) 674, EQ(Fico) 668, TU(Fico) 691
Message 2 of 4
notfancy
Valued Contributor

@vikingpride01 wrote:

I have a car repossession that I am trying to get deleted. According to Transunion it is scheduled to come off 8/2014 but if I want to have it removed before then. The balance they are reporting on my credit report is $9,930 however they sent me a letter stating my balance is $10, 204.   Can I dispute this acct as too old and ask to be removed being it will fall off in Aug. Or should I dispute it as balances being different. I live in NC and not sure what the SOL are for this acct.

It probably won't help to dispute. SoL only affects how long you can be sued for. It won't affect how long the account can be reported for. You can try to ask them to delete early.. it might happen.. If you dispute due to the balances being different, all they have to do is update it to report the correct balance.. they don't have to delete it due to the balance being wrong.

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

There is no basis for disputing the presence of an OC account as being "too old."

The FCRA provides for exclusion of adverse items reported under an OC account, with the exclusion period being based on the type of adverse item.

It does not exclude or require deletion of the account itself.

Once the repo itself becomes excluded, the remainder of the OC account reporting will remain

If the account shows a balance, that will remain, and until the OC reports a $0 balance, may still raise questions as to the status of the debt, notwithstanding the exclusion of the reported repo.

The way to get the repo removed prior to its normal credit report exclusion period is to offer payment of the debt in exchange for their deletion of that adverse reporting.

If they accept, you then obtain both deletion of the repo and reporting of satisfaction of the debt.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.