Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to dispute?

tag
27hello
Valued Member

How to dispute?

Hello,

I've discovered I apparently have a credit card from Chase that was opened in April 2003, and then stopped paying on Dec 06-March 07.  It has a 4k balance on it.  I don't recall having this card, applying for this card - or even making payments on this card over the 3 years before defaulting.  I was 19 in 2003 and working at Jiffy Lube, so I doubt I would have been approved for anything from Chase, let alone something with a limit like that.

I did have some trouble in 06-07, so the timing on that is funny.  I filed bankruptcy in May 07.  So, it does make sense that I could have defaulted in that time frame.  But I would think I'd have been well aware of owing 4k -especially if I had paid as recently as November, and most definitely would have included it in that bankruptcy.  After all, I included lesser balances.

I think I should dispute this, but I've managed to screw up the verification questions to do it online.  Is there an example of a letter I can send?  I have no idea what to do - they want me to fax the dispute and copy of drivers license.  I just don't know how to write a dispute?

Or should I send a DV? 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
cwwatts1202
Established Contributor

Re: How to dispute?

Well if you didn't apply for this card, or use this card, chances are this isn't your card, so yea, i'd dispute it. You can call the CRA that you didn't answer the verification questions correctly with and they'll ask you a few questions on the phone and unlock it so you can dispute it online again. 

Message 2 of 5
27hello
Valued Member

thanks!

Message 3 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

In my opinion, the dispute process is not the best way to address the issue.

The creditor presumably has some documentation that supports their claim that you owe the debt.

In response to a dispute, they can simply verify the accuracy of their reporting based on their records. They dont have to "prove it."  Such disputes are an instant catch-22, in that the consumer cannot document a negative.

Thus, the dispute process is unlkely to result in any deletion of their reporting.

In recognition of the fact that a consumer cant prove a negative "account not mine" assertion, congress amended the FCRA to include an identity theft procedure that requires immediate block of any information asserted to have been the result of potential identity theft from a consumer's credit report. FCRA 605B.

To invoke that block, you must put your assertion that you never authorized the account/transactions into a sworn police report, and send a copy of that report to the CRA.

That process is totally separate from, and in recognition of the problems in use of, the FCRA dispute process.

Message 4 of 5
27hello
Valued Member

Good to know. 

It was opened 10 years ago, so my memory is a little rusty.  I'm 95% certain I didn't open this account.  I worked full time.  I spent my spare time with my girlfriend (now my wife).  We did make some purchases in that time period, but it was with life insurance money.  We had no need for credit at that time, and really, little knowledge of credit. 

In July 03 she became pregnant, and we moved to a different state in August.  We didn't start using credit until September when we financed our first car.

But the one big, major "no, this is not mine" for me is... I was really struggling in late 06 and all through 07.  There's no way I made a payment on this card in November 06 (whilst ignoring all other bills, apparently) and then did not include this 3000 debt on the bankrupcty I filed in June 07.  I also sincerely doubt I made all those payments from 4/03 to 11/06 - 3.5 years of payments and dont remember a thing.

Should I send them a DV?  This thing should be off next year, mine or not.  Should I ignore it?

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.