Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to figure out the original holder?

tag
Shinronn
Established Member

How to figure out the original holder?

I have 2 collections on my accounts, however it doesn't give me the original lender, both are medical bills. I'm trying to find out so I can talk to them to take the debt back so I may pay it. Anyone know how to find out this information?

Starting FAKO Score 10/2012: EXP 403, EQU 457, TU 472
Current FICO Score: EXP 666 9/13, EQU658 9/13, TU 671, 9/13
Goal FICO Score: 725

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

Re: How to figure out the original holder?

I call and ask. 

GOAL - 700 FICO across the board!
Message 2 of 5
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

I call the collection agency, that is.

GOAL - 700 FICO across the board!
Message 3 of 5
buildafico
Frequent Contributor

I imagine the Collection Agency reporting is now handing the debts. Contact them.

some textsome textsome textsome textsome textsome textsome textsome textsome text>some text
Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

In their dunning notice, they were required to provide the name of the party upon whose behalf they are collecting on the debt.

If they are a first assignee of the original creditor who still owns the debt, that would be the OC.

However, if they are either the purchaser of the debt or an assigned debt collector by a new owner other than the OC, dunning notice does not require that they also provide the name of the OC.

In the event that a consumer ever wants the name of the OC, a provision of the DV process is that it can be included as part of the DV request.

However, a DV filed ater 30days from dunning notice imposes nothing on the debt collector, so if not timely requested, they can continue about their business with no requirment to respond to your DV.  That leaves informal request as the route.

First step:  check their dunning notice for the party identifed as the owner of the debt.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.