cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to handle PFD response from Credit Control/The Bureaus?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to handle PFD response from Credit Control/The Bureaus?

I've got a $2091.25 collection with The Bureaus from 2013. Originally a $1734 charge off from Best Buy in 2013; the charge off disappeared from my report about 6 months ago, but the collection remains.

I sent a PFD offer letter to the CEO of The Bureaus two weeks ago and got a letter today from the CA they've hired to collect the debt, Credit Control. To clarify, The Bureaus did not respond, I've only received communication from Credit Control.

I'd offered to make an immediate payment of the original $1734 if they would delete. Their response said they'll accept a payment of $1822.50 and consider the debt settled in full.

I can think of several potential responses on my end.

1. I call The Bureaus and tell them I'm willing to pay them directly in full if they'll recall from Credit Control and agree to delete, and try to get a (recorded) verbal agreement
  2. I call Credit Control and tell them I'll pay in full over the phone if they'll delete
  3. I send a check for full payment to The Bureaus and enclose a letter saying it's theirs to deposit if they will delete the debt, otherwise I'll continue to not pay
  4. I call Credit Control and make the payment over the phone, then start sending GWs to The Bureaus after the collection reports as closed/PIF

Are 1 and 4 my only real options? Even sending CMRRR mail to The Bureaus, they won't respond to me and instead have Credit Control respond. Since Credit Control doesn't own the debt, and is merely collecting it on behalf of The Bureaus, I'm afraid to make a payment to them when they have no control over what gets reported to my reports. I know option 3 gets into legally very murky water, since I wouldn't technically be conditionally endorsing the check itself.

What's my best option? I'm willing to pay the asserted $2091 debt, I just want it gone.

EDIT: Adding timeline to hopefully make the situation clearer:

• 2013: Debt sold to The Bureaus by Best Buy. Amount outstanding: $1734
  • 2013-Present: Debt reported monthly as an open collection by The Bureaus. Amount outstanding: now $2091
  • Present: Credit Control collecting debt on behalf of The Bureaus, but does not own the debt. Offered settlement of $1822
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How to handle PFD response from Credit Control/The Bureaus?

I'm a bit confused.  Is this currently reporting on your credit reports from anyone?  If not, I'd take the paid in full option and then they can't add it on. 

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

NM, I think that Credit Control is the one reporting, right?  Have you tried asking them for a PFD?  Option 3 is definitely a no go.  They will deposit that check so fast and tell you to suck it.  I think your best option is with Credit Control if they are the ones reporting.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is currently reported by The Bureaus.

The debt was sold to The Bureaus by Best Buy in 2013 and has been reported since then by The Bureaus as an open collection, updating monthly. Credit Control is collecting on The Bureaus' behalf, although CC is not reporting it.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do I have any good options here? Or should I just pay Credit Control and start sending GWs to The Bureaus?

Message 5 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

It is hard to give you a best option, as the debt owner and their assignee have their own options.

The only pay for deletion option is via the owner, the Bureaus, as only they are reporting.

Since communications with them are apparently being passed off to their addigned debt collector, they apparently are not negotiating.

You could call them and make a personal negotiation attempt.  That would be my next sttep if deletion of the reported collection is your primary goal.

Their assignee, Credit Control, cannot agree to a PFD, as they are not the party whose reporting you are seeking deletion.

You may be forced, if they wont negotiate, into only paying via Credit Control. 

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, Robert. I'm going to call TB this afternoon and see what they say. Holding out a faint hope that they'll allow me to pay them directly and delete upon payment.

If not, I'll call and pay CC, then start using one of the teams of paper I've got in my office to start spamming TB with GWs. Smiley Tongue

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just called both TB and CC.

The Bureaus would not agree to recalling the debt and wouldn't accept my payment.

Credit Control offered a slightly lower settlement amount on the phone ($1777.56) than they did in their letter ($1822.50), so I paid the lower amount and verbally confirmed several times that it would be considered settled in full. I was told that a settled in full letter should be available within 10 days.

Very pleasant lady took the call, by the way. Too bad she doesn't train the customer service folks at places like Comcast...

At the very least, the collection will no longer report as open! Now, once the collection updates as closed and paid, it's time to start sending GW letters to The Bureaus. I'm gonna send them one every three weeks until either I run out of paper (ha, fat chance!) or they finally give in and delete the collection.

Message 8 of 9
RonM21
Valued Contributor

At least it is paid. I hope the GW's work for you at some point.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.