cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to handle a civil judgment? LVNV Funding - help!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to handle a civil judgment? LVNV Funding - help!

Hi Everyone,

I've been trying to tackle one thing at a time on my reports. I have about 9 accounts in collections from a job loss a year ago. I've been sending PFDs to the accounts that I can afford. Then I come to this civil judgment on my report, listed as the only negative public record, and I'm not sure what to do with it. It is from a Credit One credit card that I wasn't able to pay. I pulled up my TransUnion report and pasted it below. How does a person go about handling this? Why is this report listed as a legal item when all my other accounts are in collections? And 2022 seems very far away so I would like to know how to get this off my reports if possible. Anyone have experience with this matter?

EDIT: I also was just looking at the rest of my TransUnion report and this same account from CreditOne shows up twice more. Do I have any rights against them listing this negative information 3 different times? 

LVNV FUNDING LLC  #444796223045****
C/O RESURGENT CAPITAL SERVICES
PO BOX 10497 MS 576
GREENVILLE, SC 29603
(866) 464-1183
Placed for Collection:06/13/2014
Responsibility:Individual Account
Account Type:Open Account
Loan Type:FACTORING COMPANY ACCOUNT
Balance:$669
Date Updated:06/30/2015
Payment Received:$0
Original Amount:$480
Original Creditor:CREDIT ONE BANK N A (Financial)
Past Due:>$669<
Pay Status:>In Collection<
Date Closed:06/30/2015
Remarks: ACCT INFO DISPUTED BY CONSUMR; >PLACED FOR COLLECTION<

Estimated month and year that this item will be removed: 10/2020

CREDIT ONE BANK  #444796223045****
PO BOX 98872
LAS VEGAS, NV 89193-8872
(877) 825-3242
Date Opened:05/10/2013
Responsibility:Individual Account
Account Type:Revolving Account
Loan Type:CREDIT CARD
Balance:$0
Date Updated:04/14/2015
Payment Received:$0
Last Payment Made:10/14/2013
High Balance:$429
Credit Limit:$400
Pay Status:>Account paid in Full; was a Charge-off<
Terms:Paid Monthly
Date Closed:02/16/2014
>Maximum Delinquency of 120 days in 03/2014 and in 05/2014<
Account Sale Info: ACCOUNT SOLD TO SOLD TO ANOTHER LENDER
Remarks: DISP INVG COMP-RPT BY GRNTR; PURCHASED BY ANOTHER LENDER; >UNPAID BALANCE CHARGED OFF<

Estimated month and year that this item will be removed: 10/2020

DENVER COUNTY COURT - Docket#: 2015C56310
1515 CLEVELAND PL
DENVER, CO 80202
(720) 865-7840
Date Filed:05/06/2015
Date Updated:06/10/2015
Type:CIVIL JUDGMENT
Responsibility:Individual Debt
Plaintiff:LVNV FUNDING LLC
Amount:$480
Court Type:Circuit Court

Estimated month and year that this item will be removed: 04/2022

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How to handle a civil judgment? LVNV Funding - help!

Your best chance is the get it vacated by attacking their service as improper.

Did you receive a summons? You need to research the service requirements in  CO, and see if they properly served you or not. You will need to visit the courthouse and get the entire court record for the case.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I never received a summons but I did get a letter from a lawyer saying that they would take payments. Of course this was a couple months ago and I had no money to do so. I was never mailed anything about court or anything.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

There's your path to salvation. They clearly had an address to send you the offer, but were somehow incapable of sending you a summons? Should be a slam-dunk.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

So from there I just have to go to the courthouse and tell them this and pay the court directly? Or do I contact LVNV and try to settle with them? I would definitely PIF if I could get it removed from my reports...3 different dings from 1 debt less than $500 seems a little predatory and poor business practice. 

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

So from there I just have to go to the courthouse and tell them this and pay the court directly? Or do I contact LVNV and try to settle with them? I would definitely PIF if I could get it removed from my reports...3 different dings from 1 debt less than $500 seems a little predatory and poor business practice. 

No, no, no. Do not contact LVNV at ALL at this point. You are not going offer to pay ANYTHING at this point. What you want to do FIRST is visit the court clerk and get ALL of the case filings. One of those is going to be a "proof of service". You need to examine that document carefully, because it probably states you were personally served the summons by some person (whose name and signature will appear on the form), when clearly you were not. What you will need to do is file a request to vacate the default judgment on grounds that the service was not performed in accordance with state law. 

You need to get the judgement vacated before making ANY offer of payment to them.

Message 6 of 7
toi34
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

No, no, no. Do not contact LVNV at ALL at this point. You are not going offer to pay ANYTHING at this point. What you want to do FIRST is visit the court clerk and get ALL of the case filings. One of those is going to be a "proof of service". You need to examine that document carefully, because it probably states you were personally served the summons by some person (whose name and signature will appear on the form), when clearly you were not. What you will need to do is file a request to vacate the default judgment on grounds that the service was not performed in accordance with state law. 

You need to get the judgement vacated before making ANY offer of payment to them.

DO THIS ASAP BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING ELSE!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.