cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to handle a new collection from old utility Excel

tag
redwing2013

How to handle a new collection from old utility Excel

I just received a brand new letter from a CA on a four year old collection that I don't recognize other than its the old Utility from a former foreclosure occuring during a BK.  I am thinking it might be a bill that should be for the new home owners and the billing never got changed over.

Anyway what is the best way to handle this one?  Is there an easy way to get the CA to return the collection to the OC to deal with them directly? 

Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.

Kevin

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How to handle a new collection from old utility Excel

You should start with a DV, it should be considered timely and should place a cease collection bar on the account.  This will also give you time to investigate as to whether it is actually your debt or not.  

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 4
redwings2013
Established Member

what is a cease collection bar?

@Shogun wrote:

You should start with a DV, it should be considered timely and should place a cease collection bar on the account.  This will also give you time to investigate as to whether it is actually your debt or not.  

Message 3 of 4
guiness56
Epic Contributor

It means they cannot report the collections until they validate the debt, they cannot contact you via any means and they cannot sue you.

It can be reported prior to them receiving the DV.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.