Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to help Build credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to help Build credit

Hello there, im 18 and i have 3 credit cards, B of A cash rewards with a $700 limit, Usaa and Capital one cards both with a $300 limit. Credit Karma says i have a 654 Transunion score and a 658 Equifax score. Id like to get them up near 685-700 before september of this year. I never charge more than $150 on my cash rewards card and always pay it off in full before the end of the month. 

Any tips or advice on helping me build these scores would be greatly appreciated, and also any help understanding these scores would be great

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How to help Build credit

Assuming you've only had your cards for a short time, just keep paying them on time and your scores will rise all on their own. If you do not have an auto loan, you might do a secured personal loan for $500 or so at a Bank or CU to boost your score more. Keep in mind only one installment loan is needed for FICO scoring.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How to help Build credit

FWIW, don't be afraid to charge the cash rewards card up as much as you want as long as you pay it back down promptly. The only thing that FICO scoring looks at is the balance carried over at the statement close. Basically you want to run as much 'normal spending' through the card that you can to maximize the rewards. I typically make several payments each month and last month I put over $1200 through my $500 limit Cap 1 card.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.