cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to negotiate Judgments?

tag
shep85037

How to negotiate Judgments?

Hi guys I have 2 judgments one is from capital one for 1,110.00.

The other is from a hospital for 1,581.00 

I received these in june of 2009 in the state of Virginia, and their Sol shows that they can keep renewing these for many more years.

So I guess I have to settle and pay the judgments, and I was wondering what is the best way to negotiate with them?

Is it possible to get the judgments completely removed from my CR?

What type of verification should I get from before paying?

Do I pay by money order or debit card?

Thanks for any advice.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How to negotiate Judgments?

@shep85037 wrote:
Hi guys I have 2 judgments one is from capital one for 1,110.00.

The other is from a hospital for 1,581.00 

I received these in june of 2009 in the state of Virginia, and their Sol shows that they can keep renewing these for many more years.

So I guess I have to settle and pay the judgments, and I was wondering what is the best way to negotiate with them? If you no longer live in VA you will have a little more power to settle these for less than what is owed as they would have to spend more money to get the judgment domesticated in the state you now live in to be able to enforce it with garnishment or asset seizure. I would start by contacting the OCs on these and make an offer to settle them in a lump sum at a reduced amount owed. If you do not have the funds available to PIF with added interest at the rate set by VA law I would not poke the bear until you do. If they settle then they need to inform the court that the judgment has been satisfied.

Is it possible to get the judgments completely removed from my CR? Possibly if your state allows you to file a motion to vacate on grounds that it has been paid, if this gets through then the judgment is off your CRs now, if not it remains on file for 7 years from month/.year it was issued.

What type of verification should I get from before paying? You would want the agreement to settle amount in writing from them prior to actually paying it.

Do I pay by money order or debit card? I would never pay this type of debt with a debit card or personal check only a money order or credit card.

Thanks for any advice.

Message 2 of 7
shep85037

I do not live live in Virginia anymore, I live in Arizona now.  So I would try to contact the original creditor to negotiate nad not the lawyer that sued me?

How much should I try to negotiate a PIF lump sump for ...50% more or less?

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Message 3 of 7
2NE1
Established Contributor

@shep85037 wrote:

I do not live live in Virginia anymore, I live in Arizona now.  So I would try to contact the original creditor to negotiate nad not the lawyer that sued me?

I've dealt with a civil judgment (placed on my CR on February 2008) of $6000+ balance in the state of VA. The way I did my process was, I contacted the original creditor who told me that I had to DEAL with the lawyer if I wanted to pay/satisfied the judgment. I settled with the lawyer (January 2012) and gave a cashier's check with a lump sum amount that was almost half the balance.

I then proceeded with sending each CRA a MOV (method of verification) letter. They will either REMOVE your judgment or RESPOND stating the account is verified and if satified, it will reflect that on your CR. In case this happens I was told to send a 2nd letter stating I was not requesting a reinvestigation but I wanted to know the method and source as to how they verifed the account belonged to me. If they are not able to furnish their source, you can get them to remove the judgment. By doing these two steps I was able to get EQ and TU remove my judgment before its fall off date (February 2015). You gotta pay the debt though. You can't remove and unpaid judgment (unless you can prove it doesn't belong to you). I'm sending to your inbox the MOV letters I used. Good luck! Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 7
shep85037

Thank you for the response and I really appreciate your help and for sending me those MOV letter examples.

Message 5 of 7
Outnumbered5
Established Member

Can you please send a copy of your MOV to me?  Thank you so much!

Message 6 of 7
NycGirl41
Contributor

@2NE1 wrote:

@shep85037 wrote:

I've dealt with a civil judgment (placed on my CR on February 2008) of $6000+ balance in the state of VA. The way I did my process was, I contacted the original creditor who told me that I had to DEAL with the lawyer if I wanted to pay/satisfied the judgment. I settled with the lawyer (January 2012) and gave a cashier's check with a lump sum amount that was almost half the balance.

I then proceeded with sending each CRA a MOV (method of verification) letter. They will either REMOVE your judgment or RESPOND stating the account is verified and if satified, it will reflect that on your CR. In case this happens I was told to send a 2nd letter stating I was not requesting a reinvestigation but I wanted to know the method and source as to how they verifed the account belonged to me. If they are not able to furnish their source, you can get them to remove the judgment. By doing these two steps I was able to get EQ and TU remove my judgment before its fall off date (February 2015). You gotta pay the debt though. You can't remove and unpaid judgment (unless you can prove it doesn't belong to you). I'm sending to your inbox the MOV letters I used. Good luck! Smiley Happy

Can I also have a copies of the MOV letters you used? Thanks in advance!

@2NE1 wrote:

@shep85037 wrote:

Can I also have copies of the MOV letters you used? Thank in advance!

Starting Score (May 2014): 580 TU | 574 EQ | 572 EX
Current Score (April 2015): 673 TU | 650 EQ | 664 EX

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.