Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to pay collections?

tag
ChangeIsPossible
Contributor

How to pay collections?

If you have multiple collection accounts you are settling, is it best to pay off slowly or is in one lump sum ok?

I have five or so accounts I am paying off which I know will overall help my score because they are from old credit cards which kills the utilization ratio I now have!

The totals are about 5500$ that was charged off and I now have two new secured cards that have 1000$ in total limit! Once balances were paid I planned on increasing limit on my NFCU Secured from 500 to 1500$

Starting Score: 467 (Dec '13)
Current Score: 670 (Jul '14)
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: How to pay collections?

Message 2 of 8
ChangeIsPossible
Contributor

Two are with OC being collected on behalf of creditor, two are with CA and the other is an old utility bill

Message 3 of 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

If the OC is showing a balance, faster they are paid down the better for a faster raise in your score.

With that said, even if you pay in payments, your score will still go up after the balance is 0.

Message 4 of 8
deaf

Hopefully you don't mind me asking a stupid question. What exactly is a OC and CA?

Message 5 of 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

OC - Original Creditor

CA - Collection Agency

Not a stupid question.

Look in my signature for Common Abbreviations.  Unfortunately, we rely heavily on acronyms.

Message 6 of 8
ChangeIsPossible
Contributor

I'm looking forward to the score bump. I guess the SOL is either quickly approaching in CT or CA's are calling eachother because after I payed one I received calls in droves from the others.

I planned on paying everything off by March, but I am paying them sooner than I like (I'm about to vacation to Europe) so it's cutting into what I put aside to have, but grateful that when I come back now, my credit will be in a much better place!

Message 7 of 8
ptilda
Established Contributor

Do you have PFD agreements? Might want to see if you can navagate some agreements to get these off your report alltogether... I might be stating the obvious Smiley Happy

My Wallet:Fidelity Amex $1K, DCU $3.9K, US Bank AeroMexico $300, Quicksilver $1.3K, Cap1 secured MC $750, DiscoverIT $200, Care Credit $5K, Sportsman Guide Visa $3K, Kay $3K, Jared $3K,American Airlines CC $3K, Amazon $2.9k, Walmart $2.2k, Macy's $800 revolving/$5k furniture, Comenity retail cards $5.55kStarting Score: 618Current Score: 711
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.