cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to pay off legitimate collections accounts?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to pay off legitimate collections accounts?

Hello all,

I am now in a place in my life where I can pay off my old debts and clean up my credit report a little bit. I have 3 accounts in collections that I want to take care of. Please know that all 3 of these debts are mine and I would like to do the right thing morally. I know my score won't improve instantly, but getting these off my chest would be awesome. Anyway, here is some information:

1. Medical Collections- $137. I sent a DV and received an acceptable reply. How do I pay this debt in full and still protect myself at the same time? The agency has been straightforward and helpful so far, but I'm not sure I trust them with a personal check or credit card number. I have heard that CA's don't do PFD anymore? Please tell me that's not true.

2. Medical Collections- $400. Sent a DV and received no reply. Again I know the debt is mine, but I'm assuming it would be best to be patient and await their response (the agency is still within their 30 day window). Would also like to do PFD if you think it's possible.

3. Charged-off credit card- Capital One- $500 balance + $216.22 interest. The account was just bought by from Capital One by a CA and I received my first dunning notice. I would like to offer them Paid in full for $500 but am not sure how to begin negotiations with them.

Again, all these debts are mine and I just want to do the right thing. I do however want to protect myself so please help me do this the safest way possible. Thank you all in advance.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How to pay off legitimate collections accounts?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello all,

I am now in a place in my life where I can pay off my old debts and clean up my credit report a little bit. I have 3 accounts in collections that I want to take care of. Please know that all 3 of these debts are mine and I would like to do the right thing morally. I know my score won't improve instantly, but getting these off my chest would be awesome. Anyway, here is some information:

1. Medical Collections- $137. I sent a DV and received an acceptable reply. How do I pay this debt in full and still protect myself at the same time? The agency has been straightforward and helpful so far, but I'm not sure I trust them with a personal check or credit card number. I have heard that CA's don't do PFD anymore? Please tell me that's not true. Call them and ask for the PFD if they wont do it then Google search the HIPAA Process and use it

2. Medical Collections- $400. Sent a DV and received no reply. Again I know the debt is mine, but I'm assuming it would be best to be patient and await their response (the agency is still within their 30 day window). Would also like to do PFD if you think it's possible. HIPAA Process we cant discuss it on this board.

3. Charged-off credit card- Capital One- $500 balance + $216.22 interest. The account was just bought by from Capital One by a CA and I received my first dunning notice. I would like to offer them Paid in full for $500 but am not sure how to begin negotiations with them. Offer full payment for them not reporting it

Again, all these debts are mine and I just want to do the right thing. I do however want to protect myself so please help me do this the safest way possible. Thank you all in advance.

Welcome to MF Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 6
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

HIPAA Process works even on paid Medical collections if that's a concern. Of course paid for delete is faster if they will accept.

Good luck!
If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 3 of 6
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Paid medical collections...use the HIPPA process.

Yes, pay-for-delete is still accepted.

Message 4 of 6
kjel
Established Contributor

I have snail mailed in a money order or cashier's check when paying off collections. No way am I about to voluntarily give up my bank account information.

Current Score: TU: 674 | EQ: 722 | EX: 717 | Last Inq. 2/16/15...Locked Up in The Garden
NFCU Cash Rewards $14K | Chase Sapphire Preferred $5K | Amex Blue Cash Preferred $6K | Cap1 Quicksilver One Visa $9K

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all so much, this is very helpful. I had not heard of HIPAA coming into play for medical debts, but it does make sense. I will research that method. 

Glad to know I can still request pay for delete. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.