Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to proceed with Asset Acceptance

tag
AshCas
Regular Contributor

How to proceed with Asset Acceptance

You guys always give the best advice - and I'm definitely in need of it. Asset Acceptance is reporting a collection from 2007 on my CR's. They update the amount monthly with their interest fees, the total amount is around $776. I did some research And found out that they are not licensed in my state to collect, and Connecticut requires collection agencies to have a license. I'll be applying for a mortgage soon, so I need to get this straightened out ASAP. My first question is - is there a parent company they might be licensed under? I know companies like LVNV are under the umbrella of resurgent...just want to be sure Asset isn't. Second - do you think them being unlicensed gives me more leverage to do a PFD? Should I write them or email them? Call them? Any tips on how to go forward would be greatly appreciated.
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
AshCas
Regular Contributor

Re: How to proceed with Asset Acceptance

Bump! Please help Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 13
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

From what I've read, Asset Acceptance does not accept PFD's or GW offers.

But you never know, someone has to be first. Maybe you'll be the first, they accept a PFD from.

Or maybe, we are not hearing from the people who had Asset to agree with a PFD.

You can send a DV letter and if they dont verify, they may sell the debt to another CA, one that may accept PFD"s.

Asset Acceptance is owned by the parent corporation, Asset Acceptance Capital Corporation.

There are many threads here on Asset Acceptance.

Suggested you read thru some of them, to get the feeling on how they operate.

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 3 of 13
AshCas
Regular Contributor

I've read thru all of the previous posts on Asset Acceptance - they seem super difficult to work with. I'm just curious if I should use the fact that they're not licensed to collect the debt in my state to my advantage...
Message 4 of 13
Lois5669
Frequent Contributor

@AshCas wrote:
I've read thru all of the previous posts on Asset Acceptance - they seem super difficult to work with. I'm just curious if I should use the fact that they're not licensed to collect the debt in my state to my advantage...

Does your state require them to have a license? Also, I'm not sure that it would matter (reporting wise) anyway. I think it might only matter if they are taking you to court or calling/mailing you for money. Maybe RobertEG or someone will reply about this.

Starting Score: EQ = 550; TU = 491(2/10/12)
Current Score: EQ = 669; TU = 674(6/20/14)
Goal Score: 700+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 13
AshCas
Regular Contributor

Yes, CT requires a license to collect. I have no issue paying them, just hoping I can use the no license issue to get a PFD
Message 6 of 13
MarcinXP
Frequent Contributor

Asset Acceptance is difficult to deal with and they don't do PFDs. I was actually successful getting rid of them on my old Bally's account and delete the TL without paying but that is because they lied and I had it in writing and I told them I will sue them and they just sent me a letter saying they will close the CA and delete the TL. I called to basically do a PFD and the guy on the phone told me they don't do PFDs and told me that for 30% they will consider it closed and paid in full. I told him to send me a letter. I then emailed the Asset Acceptance CEOs and compliance officer and she told me after checking with the manager they will agree to PFD and sent me a letter stating that...

Well fast forward 5 days they sent me a letter stating they will PFD..I jumped up and down for joy..ready to pay and get this over with...it was friday so I told myself I will call them Monday and do this..Lo and behold on Saturday I get another letter stating...Thank you for making arrangements with Asset Acceptance. Your Payment arrangements are accepted and 30% will be your first payment..it was a letter from the guy I originally spoke to on the phone that told me that 30% will be PIF, but then created this elaborate Payment Arrangements - 3 payments with 30% down..

Well Monday I fired of an email, scanned both letters, basically told the CEOs and compliance officer of their trickery and that they commted fraud  and within 48 hours they emailed me back apologizing and telling me that they will send me a letter stating the account is being closed and they are stopping their collection activity and deleting the TL. I was ready to sue them too...came really close...I had bunch of CRMMM over 90 days, bunch of emails and these 2 conflicting letters....I guess thanks to their lack of communication I saved myself $280 bucks and TL was deleted..

This was luck though...currently another company is playing hardball though...LHR....arghh....hate them

NFCU Visa Sig $30k / Amex Blue Cash $25.5k / Fidelity Amex $25k / Chase Freedom $14.5k / Citi Double Cash $5k / Capital One Quicksilver Visa Sig $5k / Citi Best Buy MC $3K / Barclay Rewards MC $2.95k / BOA - BBR $2.5k / SY Lowes $15k / SY Amazon $6k / Target RedCard - $300
Message 7 of 13
proudnavymom
Regular Contributor

@MarcinXP wrote:

Asset Acceptance is difficult to deal with and they don't do PFDs. I was actually successful getting rid of them on my old Bally's account and delete the TL without paying but that is because they lied and I had it in writing and I told them I will sue them and they just sent me a letter saying they will close the CA and delete the TL. I called to basically do a PFD and the guy on the phone told me they don't do PFDs and told me that for 30% they will consider it closed and paid in full. I told him to send me a letter. I then emailed the Asset Acceptance CEOs and compliance officer and she told me after checking with the manager they will agree to PFD and sent me a letter stating that...

Well fast forward 5 days they sent me a letter stating they will PFD..I jumped up and down for joy..ready to pay and get this over with...it was friday so I told myself I will call them Monday and do this..Lo and behold on Saturday I get another letter stating...Thank you for making arrangements with Asset Acceptance. Your Payment arrangements are accepted and 30% will be your first payment..it was a letter from the guy I originally spoke to on the phone that told me that 30% will be PIF, but then created this elaborate Payment Arrangements - 3 payments with 30% down..

Well Monday I fired of an email, scanned both letters, basically told the CEOs and compliance officer of their trickery and that they commted fraud  and within 48 hours they emailed me back apologizing and telling me that they will send me a letter stating the account is being closed and they are stopping their collection activity and deleting the TL. I was ready to sue them too...came really close...I had bunch of CRMMM over 90 days, bunch of emails and these 2 conflicting letters....I guess thanks to their lack of communication I saved myself $280 bucks and TL was deleted..

This was luck though...currently another company is playing hardball though...LHR....arghh....hate them

I guess I got lucky with LHR.  I sent them a timely DV in response to a dunning notice, and I guess they couldn't validate, so deleted from my credit report after sending me a letter saying after a review of my account, they had decided to cease all collection efforts and would be deleting their submissions from my credit report.  It took a while.  They sent me a letter dated 2/13/12 and it was finally deleted on 3/15/12.

Starting Scores TU 7/30/09 FICO 493 EQ 9/5/10 FICO 477 EX 11/14/2011 (lender pull) 575
Current Scores TU 10/19/2018 FICO 671 EQ 12/21/2018 FICO 614 EX 5/31/2014 FICO 658
Goal Scores 700 across the board
Message 8 of 13
jaeroc
Established Member

would anyone on this thread be able to pm me the emails of the ceo's of asset acceptance? please and thank you

Message 9 of 13
guiness56
Epic Contributor

This thread is way over a year old.  You might do better to start a new one with the subject.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.