cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to proceed with a recent late payment?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to proceed with a recent late payment?

So my credit was poor until i gave it attention 3 years. Got a couple auto loans and 6 cards. Score was up to 720. Perfect payments until December. I got (1) 30 day lates on each of my 2 capital one cards. I emailed the executive office and talked to them. After a week, I was informed that they cant do much because it was reported correctly. I have used lexington law in the past and they made my report favorable, aside from not being able to remove late nelnet payments 5 years ago. My question is, how should i proceed from here? Should i give lexington law a go again?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: How to proceed with a recent late payment?

If the payment was indeed not paid until 30 days after the billing due date, it is proper, and thus there is no basis for a dispute.

I would continue to pursue your own good-will requests.  A credit repair agency cannot say or do anything in a good-will request that you cannot provide yourself.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is your previous history with CO?  Were you ever late with them in the past, or was this the first time? 

I'd hammer away with GW letters using the Saturation Technique:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/The-Saturation-Technique-Best-GW-adjustment-o...

Since your late payments are only 30 days, which are the least severity, I feel you stand a very good chance at getting them removed if you are persistent with GW letters using the method linked above.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

i have tried 2 goodwill letters now. I think they were 60 days apart. Both were denied. And the second only taking one day for the case worker to get back to me. Rather annoyed at myself to be honest...

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would suggest waiting at least a few more months and continue paying them on time before sending more Goodwill letters. Since this just occurred recently, you want to show them your not getting into credit trouble and that it was just a fluke. After continuing paying bills on time with them for at least 6 months, then try again. When it's only 1 late it's simple enough to call and explain with an apology to see what they can do, however with 2 recent lates or 1 each on 2 different cards, same company, it tends to make them feel worried you'll do it again.
Either way I wish you luck
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I’m not even using the cards to be honest. Is that not good either?
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.