Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to rebuild and boost your credit score, even after Bankruptcy

tag
Beautifull
New Contributor

Re: How to rebuild and boost your credit score, even after Bankruptcy

Anemo,

Equifax hasn't updated my report yet.  I will probably just open the NFCU card for now and then wait to see what happens once the CRAs have updated everything; before applying for any additional cards. 

I am a little frustrated but hey, I will bounce back.

Thanks for the support :-)

Beautifull

Starting Score: 472
Current Score: 3/14/2010 EQ 647 TU 637
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 31 of 120
Beautifull
New Contributor

llecs,

I just received my NFCU secured card.  I gave myself a $500 limit.  Any advice on how to get those scores moving up?

Message 32 of 120
Beautifull
New Contributor

Anemo,

Quick update!!!! I had another collection agency drop off of my TU report today.  Equifax still hasn't updated my report and they are the only CRA that hasn't.  I also received my NFCU credit card.  I will open another card next month.  I want to see if I can get my scores up a little more. :-)

Message 33 of 120
anemo
Contributor

Hi again,

Great news on the secured card it should begin to work wonders for you. Can you increase the limit on it?

Is it on your credit yet? If you can incease the limit and once it's goes on your credit you should see it begin to offset some of the other tradelines and improve your score. In some cases it jumps right away. Secured cards that don't pull the credit and only reports the first month will do that. Keep at the repair process and a watch your credit it should all fall into place.

Great job!

Anemo

Starting Score: 300 TU 300 EX
Current Score: 704 TU EX 700
Goal Score: 800

Message 34 of 120
Beautifull
New Contributor

Thank you!!

It hasn't posted to my CR just yet.  I do know that I am able to increase the limit anytime I choose to add more money, which I plan to do $400 monthly to get the CL to at least $5k.  I was told that that it would go unsecured in 12 mos.  I plan on using it for gas and a few other things and pay it off a couple of days after I charge.

I am ready to rebuild and I am trying not to get too anxious.  I also meant to tell you that I got my points back after that CA and another inquiry dropped off of my CR.  I learned my lesson!!!!

Message 35 of 120
anemo
Contributor

Wow, great!

The repair process always reflects on the lesson learned. You can always pay it off once it's used but keep in mind if you can not pay a few days later as long as you pay before the close date you will be fine. All cards have a due date and a close date, the balance on the close date is what they report. My cards seem to always be due on the 25th but close on the 30th or last day of the month. So I make my payment by the due date but if I happen to leave a balance I can try to pay it again atleast by the day before It close.

Seems like things are falling into place and increasing that card will do wonders. I like that you took I upon yourslef to see this thru and jumped right on the repair and rebuild process. You will be shopping with a PEN in no time.

Repair, rebuild and manage from there..

Anemo

Message 36 of 120
Beautifull
New Contributor

Hello Anemo!!!

Yester I received a letter from a CA (OMNI) that was IIB.  EX and TU have is listed as such and I am sure once my dispute results come back from EQ it will update just as the other two CRAs have.  My question is why would they send a letter knowing it is IIB?

I politely called them last night and left a message stating that this debt is/was IIB and that they should save their postage. :-)

Beautifull

Message 37 of 120
anemo
Contributor

Hi again,

Youre going to get thoses few CA & creditors that play dum! But let me ask this, is the account on your credit report just this CA you mentioned and no OC? If it's the CA that's listed on your credit and you did do a dispute with them and they updated it as IIB what is the date of the letter? I'm sure it's dated after you filed BK but check. If they knowing sent you a letter and it's included in your BK and they know it, keep it! Thats a violation of your BK rules and can be filed. But alot of work to process. One thing to know to is that the CRA will place the accounts in BK once that petention number is verified. So there can still be a delay in the creditors knowing. But I do think they still send verification to them. So in dealing with the OC & CA it takes time to get around. If their is a OC that hasn't updated there records with the CA that may be your case as well. However since you gave that warning they will not do anything else trust me. It could be just a difference in timeing, but ubmay have to check a creditor or two.

Anemo

Message 38 of 120
Beautifull
New Contributor

Hi Anemo,

It is the CA that sent the letter and the letter is dated after the BK, as a matter of fact I find it interesting because I moved from VA to MD in late Sept and they had my new address on the letter they sent me.  That led me to believe that they received the BK paperwork but decided to try to sent a letter anyway. 

I wish I would have gotten your post sooner because I shredded their letter. :-( I will hold on to any others I receive after this week, if I should receive others.

Beautifull

Message 39 of 120
Beautifull
New Contributor

Update!!! My TU score has increased by 21 pts today.  I am still waiting for EQ to update.  So I decided to do a pre-qual on Orchard.  I was approved for a Gold card, not sure about the limit yet but no big deal.  I will buy gum or somehing with it and pay it off. 

So that makes 2 cards(NFCU and Orchard Gold) and my BF has added me as and AU to one of his accounts as well.  I am going to stop here and see where they take me in the next few months.

Any other suggestions?

Beautifull

Message 40 of 120
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.