Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to rebuild and boost your credit score, even after Bankruptcy

tag
Beautifull
New Contributor

Re: How to rebuild and boost your credit score, even after Bankruptcy

Hello brandiwine13 :-)

Thank you so much!!!  When I first read Anemo's post I knew that everything would be ok.  I have been down the road of divorce as well and it along with poor choices as a young adult brought me to where I am today.  I know that I am still in the early stages of this process but I have seen so much positive, in a relatively short amount of time  :-) 

I can't tell you how much these forums have helped me and has inspired me to get out of the hole.  I wish you the best and as always I will keep updating my status.

Beautifull

Starting Score: 472
Current Score: 3/14/2010 EQ 647 TU 637
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 61 of 120
anemo
Contributor

Hi again to all,

I just caught up on the threads from the weekend and I must say it's great to come together and share info. The one story with the debt of $12,000 that is not enough debt that you would file BK over. Try and find the best way to work it out, my debt was way over $90k you will be wasting a good chance to clear debt and use the BK program for what it's really intended for. Helping people start over in a time of need. But to help out and give the best advise some lawyers my just be greedy and suggest you file just to get paid and put you in a CH 13 but trust me it would be worth it!

My home status?

Well as I said I was waiting to January to get my home and still is! I have talked to brokers and learned of the many programs out there. As if right now I can buy with my 687 score but my wife has chosen to push back her lease on her truck till Jan 2010. It was suppose to go back Dec 26th 2009 but I guess she wanted to style a little more. Really she wanted to save and buy a car in cash so we don't have a car note going into the house. They count hat as debt and sometimes it can hurt you. I'm set on the style of home I want and builder just in case any of thiere new builds are not open. I'm big on not putting down any money so I'm also looking for the best deal(steal) out there. My plan is to buy a home and a building if not the same time weeks apart before either one show up on my credit. I'll talk about that later!

Remember those that seek to buy soon, as of today it's a required score of 620 for most loans and I think that's going to go down. By them extending that home credit look for people to buy around tax time with there refunds. So the inventory may be low however look for more foreclosures to come banks are going to clear their books for the new year. So may God help those you may lose their homes!!

In summary;

keep at the credit repair and rebuild, set your goals. Plan everything to a T, remember where you once were and want to go and GET THERE! Your scores of 500 will soon get better as you utilized your secured cards or what ever rebuilding method you have. Once again I started out with a score of insufficient meaning so low I didn't have one to 687 right after BK.

anemo

Starting Score: 300 TU 300 EX
Current Score: 704 TU EX 700
Goal Score: 800

Message 62 of 120
Beautifull
New Contributor

Good morning,

I received my dispute results from EQ this morning.  They have taken care of everything, but there are a few that have not updated that they are claiming have been verified.  Now I have disputed the remaining accounts with EQ again.  Everything has been updated and is listed correctly with the other two CRAs but EQ is having an issue getting things straight.  Any suggestions?

Beautifull

Message 63 of 120
Beautifull
New Contributor

Here are the accounts:

BANK OF AMERICA MILI 747655XXXX 09/2003 $760 10/2009 $760 CHARGE-OFF $0

CASTLE CREDIT CORPOR 7XXXX 01/2004 $0 10/2009 $0 CHARGE-OFF $0

OMNI FINANCIAL -XXXX 06/2004 $2,808 10/2009 $2,808 CHARGE-OFF $0

PATRIOT LOAN COMPANY XXXX 09/2003 $0 11/2009 $0 PAYS 61-90 DAYS $0 Show Details              
PIONEERML OF NEVADA 272XXXX 04/2007 $0 11/2009 $0 CHARGE-OFF $0

Creditor Name: SPRINT   Account Number: 1219XXXX   Account Owner: Individual Account.   Original Amount Owned: $245   Date of 1 st Delinquency: 06/2008   Balance Date: 11/2009   Balance Owned: $245  

Date Reported: 11/2009   Date Assigned: 01/2005   Creditor Classification: Utilities   Creditor Name: PROGRESS ENERGY CAROLINAS   Account Number: 420XXXX   Account Owner: Individual Account.   Original Amount Owned: $173   Date of 1 st Delinquency: 12/2003   Balance Date: 11/2009   Balance Owned: $173

Beautifull 

Message 64 of 120
Beautifull
New Contributor

OK, so I have been one busy lady this morning :-)

I have called each CA that has not updated my status correctly and have had success with all.  I called them all first thing this morning when they opened and used my sweetest and most pleasant sounding voice; and they were happy to update correctly.  Most were not updating correctly because they had my preios married name on file.

Trying to fix this mess is stressful but the bottomline is I messed up.  When trying to correct, no matter how nasty the other person is on the other side, remember that you will always catch more flies with honey!!! :-)

Beautifull

Message 65 of 120
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi anemo,

My wife and I are currently rebuilding our credit to buy our first home. I had some charge-offs in college and have since paid them off. I didn't know at the time that i could haggle with them about getting them deleted in exchange for payment, and now they sit there saying paid charge-offs.

I don't have any need to file for BK, but am looking for ways to boost my score from 536. I have two credit cards open right now. Cap1 with a $1000 limit, unfortunately I am at about 90% on this, but will have that back down to 30% next month. I also have a Credit One Bank $200 and again with high usage. These were preapproved offers i took to rebuild credit. Due to financial difficulties in the summer, i had to use the cards and pay minimums. Now we are sitting in a much better place.

I am really looking for some advice about how to proceed so we can take advantage of the first time home buyers credit that is being extended into next year. I like your secured card method. I thought about getting one before but was under the impression that they reported as secured.

I look forward to talking with you more
Message 66 of 120
anemo
Contributor

Hi ian84

What are your score? Wife?

The first thing as you mentioned is to get those credit cards down to a low usage or zero balance, your loan officer will tell you too as well.  You're not far from the require score of 620 so you have enough time to get there.  If the cards are the only thing reporting on your credit file then I would suggest getting at least two more credit cards.  Most consumer have about three to four anyway.  Look to add a secured card that doesn't pull a credit check, remember you have to make your report look good and no inquiry's.  Try Orchard bank, a credit union or do a online search for the best secured cards.  However I think Orchard Bank will give you a card based on your score but I would get that usage down before applying.  If you do a secured card try to add a few $1000's to it by March 2010 and don't use it much, it will work wonders for your score.  Also some rules have changed about adding an authorized user but see if someone can add you onto their account, your wife as well!  Go to whogaveme credit.com and do a search to see if some consumers had any luck with credit within your current score.  Also look to try furniture or clothing stores.

I think once you pay those balances down and get a couple of cards your well on your way. You have Nov, Dec, Jan and Feb to get it right.  I would start looking in March or April to meet the new deadline.  Credit can be repaired with in 6 months on a good repair & payment plan.  With your 536 you have four months to get 90 points and you can do it, I would say in two!  One new card may get you 40 points as seen by another faithful reader.

anytime, any questions!

anemo

Message 67 of 120
Beautifull
New Contributor

Great post Anemo :-)

I also just wanted to give you a quick update.  My EQ score is now 541 TU 545! 

Have a great weekend and as always....YOU ROCK!!!!

Beautifull

Message 68 of 120
anemo
Contributor

Look at you! You'll be crossing 600 in no time.

What BK? Your doing great, you stayed on top of the CRA and your reports. Keep at it!

You have a great weekend as well!

anemo

Message 69 of 120
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the advice so far. 

My wife's score is in the same range as mine right now. She has only ever had one credit card, and that got charged off years ago before we were together. She is one of the few people who pays for everything cash or check card. She didn't know that its not doing her any favors to not charge stuff and pay it off at the end of the month.

What do you think of the Best Buy RZ Secured Mastercard? It is backed by HSBC just like the orchard bank cards are now. I checked the HSBC pre-screening and it says i would be eligible for either. We do a lot of shopping there, and I just started working there at the end of the summer part-time as my second job. Is there a particular benefit of one or the other? Should we try to get both?

Finally, can I email you with some more details about our credit history? I would rather not post everything on the forum.

Thanks again. Our chances of getting a home don't seem so distant now. 

Ian 

Message 70 of 120
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.