Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to remove Negative Items from Credit History... Please Help

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How to remove Negative Items from Credit History... Please Help

You should not dispute anything that is reporting correctly.

Depending on what you are looking at, you may be able to figure out the DOFD yourself.  The date of first delinquency is the first date that you went bad (prob a 30 day late) after which you never recovered and got caught up again.  The reporting clock (and usually SOL clock too) starts running from the DOFD.  So if you have a report that shows your payment history, that's how you figure it out.

You can also count backwards from the removal date (on the reports that show one).  The removal date should be 7-7.5 years from the DOFD.  Sometimes, the CRAs will answer the question directly if you call them and ask for the "control" date.

The problem is that you're dealing with a bunch of companies here, and they communicate with each other weirdly.  So for instance, myFICO (along with other 3rd party re-sellers of your credit reports) mask some information that is highly relevant.  Ostensibly for privacy purposes.  So that's why folks are recommending that you get your reports directly from the CRAs.  Those reports have a lot more information on them, including payment history.

If an account is reporting past 7.5 years from the DOFD, you can dispute as "obsolete" or "too old" or something along those lines.  That's why people are asking about DOFD--it's an easy way off.

Can you tell us what is reporting incorrectly (if anything) about these accounts?  Looks like the accounts are all paid and closed, right?  I think you are limited to writing good will letters asking the creditors to remove the reporting out of the goodness of their hearts.

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi jesslyn,

Thanks for the detailed and kind message. Sorry I PM'ed you thinking my post got flagged some how and was deleted, but infact it was hot thread Smiley Happy.

My Fico: TU:699, EQ:665.

Yes All my account was paid and close 3-4 years ago. Some were opened like 6-7 years ago.

Just got the letter from Experian for their inquriy which I disputed with them on freecredit report.com

Out of 5 Items they delted two and list three as updated with the possible DOFD details are as follows:

#3 I C SYSTEM INC (Medical Bill Collection)

Date Opened:12/2004 Date of Status:01/2006 Last Reported:01/2006

Reported Since: 01/2006

This account went into collection  Jan 2006, so I think until 2013 I can't  have removed until unless I request the creditor to remove it.

#2 CITI

Date Opened:04/2001 Date of Status:11/2006  Last Reported:11/2006

Reported Since: 10/2005

#3 I C SYSTEM INC

Date Opened:12/2004 Date of Status:01/2006 Last Reported:01/2006

Reported Since: 01/2006

60 day past due as of Julne 2006, Jan 2006. 90 day past due as of July 2006. Collection as of Nov 2006.

What is DOFD for this and when do you think it will be removed?

#1SEARS/CBSD

Date Opened:03/2002 Date of Status:10/2007 Last Reported:10/2007

Reported Since: 03/2002

30 days past due as of Dec 2003 so DOFD for this one is Dec 2003 and probably Dec 2010/July 2011 will be removal date.

The above account then went to 60 day past due in Jan 2004 and then 90 days in Feb 2004.

So is Feb 2004 DOFD or Dec 2003 for this?

Nothing seems to be reported incorrectly. I just want them to remove from my credit history asap.

"I think you are limited to writing good will letters asking the creditors to remove the reporting out of the goodness of their hearts. "

You are right, I am. I want to know if CRA can't remove them till they are 7 years old. Other way like you mentioned seems to be ask the creditor with good will letters.

Can you please guide me how to do that. so that I ask them to remove it.

Also how long will it take them to removed and how often are credit reports updated?

Please reply.

Thanks

Message 12 of 17
bbrown152
Valued Member

Like other's have said. You are not going to get your definite DOFD from what you are looking at right now and we are not either. You have to pull the reports directly from exp, equ, and tu via their individual sites. Those dates aren't going to tell you anything important as far as drop time imo-they are rarely accurate unless they come from tu, eq, ex.
Message Edited by bbrown152 on 08-03-2009 08:31 PM
Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

The "good" news is that two of your collections are medical collections.  You should follow the HIPAA process on those two.  You can do a search using the upper left corner box to find out more about that process.  But supposedly, under HIPAA, PAID medical collections cannot report.  I'm a little leery of the process because lots of CAs think it doesn't really apply to them.  It works for some folks, doesn't work for other folks.  But that's where you should start--trying to figure out that process.

For the other CA, you are stuck with writing GW letters.  CAs will report for 7 to 7.5 years from the DOFD on the original account.  Be sure to double check the OC trade lines that are related to the CAs when you figure out the DOFD.  Have you gotten the reports direct from the CRA source yet, or are you still looking at the 3rd party reports?

When things report correctly, there just is not a good way to get them off your reports early.  They are allowed to report for the amount of time they are allowed to report.  Most of us try to fix the errors, and just get the baddies in as good shape as we can.  The thing about the baddies is, if they are reporting correctly, and you dispute something about them, then it updates that status as of the day of your dispute and it looks like a new collection to FICO.  So you take a ding.  Not sure if they intend to punish us or not, but it has that effect.  Extremely annoying when there really is something reporting incorrectly, and it comes back as verified, and looks like a new collection for our efforts to get it fixed.

Are you asking for information about the good will process?  There are sample letters on the forum, but I would advise to write your own.  Just explain your sob story about why you got into trouble, why it's important that your credit report not reflect this piece of information, etc., then either ask them to delete the negative part that's reporting, or ask them to delete the trade line altogether.  Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.  If they grant your good will request (which they are not even obligated to respond to, much less grant), then it will reflect on your credit report in 30-60 days.  Some people write a GW a week until it gets granted.  For some people, it just is never granted.

Credit reports are updated constantly.  The CRAs and FICO are constantly getting new information and updating immediately.  What I think is more important is how often the creditor updates the CRAs, and that is usually once a month.  So if you just miss the update by the creditor, you'll have to wait a whole month for them to update the CRAs again.  But the CRAs update as soon as they get the info.

Good luck.

Message Edited by jesslyn on 08-04-2009 07:17 AM
Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I would like to thank jesslyn and others for their input,suggetion and time. I know not many folks reply to newbie questions.

Thanks to all those who read and responded and gave me their precious time and input.

Well only Account # 3 is Medical Collection. Rest are credit cards.

Like jesslyn suggested I think GW letters are the only option I have for the 2 credit cards and HIPAA process ( Which I don't what it is and will find out) for the medical collection Account # 3.

Thanks again guys.

Message Edited by XPS09 on 08-04-2009 07:44 PM
Message 15 of 17
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Here is what I surmise.

First of all, OC “accounts” do NOT drop from your CR due to expiration of the 7 year period under FCRA 605(a)(5).  All that drops is the reporting of each individual OC delinquency at 7 years from the monthly date of each delinquency.   DOFD has nothing to do with drop off of OC monthly delinquencies, it only pertains to CA accounts.

Account 1:

You state a 30-day late in 12/2003.  That should also be your DOFD.  That will drop from your CR after 12/2010.

If that account is later put into collection, any CA account later reported must be deleted after 6/2011 (7 ½ years from the DOFD).

Account 2:

Each delinquency will, once again, not drop until 7 years from its delinquency date.

Since each was in 2006, they wont drop until staggered dates in 2013.

If this account was placed into collection, that is a separate derog that will drop at 7 ½ years from your DOFD.  Unfortunately, the info you provided does not clearly establish your DOFD, but here is my best view.

You report 60-day lates in 1/2006 and 6/2006.  What happened between 1/2006 and 6/2006?  Did you bring the account back into good standing after the 1/2006 late, and then set up a new chain of derogs?  If so, that would have reset your DOFD from 12/2005 to 5/2006.  If not, your DOFD would remain as 12/2005.

Your DOFD, which controls the drop off the CA, would be either 12/2005 or 5/2006.

Acount 3:

Since no data was provided on montly OC account delinquencies, your DOFD on the account cannot be inferred.  Since it was not opened until 2004, the DOFD was most likely not until sometime in mid-2005, making the drop off date for the CA sometime in late 2012.

My best shot.

Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi RobertEG,

Thanks a lot for your reply and help. Let me add few things to what you said.

Account 1:

You state a 30-day late in 12/2003.  That should also be your DOFD.  That will drop from your CR after 12/2010.

If that account is later put into collection, any CA account later reported must be deleted after 6/2011 (7 ½ years from the DOFD).

The reset of DOFD for the above account would be Feb 2004. so Drop off after Feb 2011.

Account 2:

Each delinquency will, once again, not drop until 7 years from its delinquency date.

Since each was in 2006, they wont drop until staggered dates in 2013.

If this account was placed into collection, that is a separate derog that will drop at 7 ½ years from your DOFD.  Unfortunately, the info you provided does not clearly establish your DOFD, but here is my best view.

You report 60-day lates in 1/2006 and 6/2006.  What happened between 1/2006 and 6/2006?  Did you bring the account back into good standing after the 1/2006 late, and then set up a new chain of derogs? 

Yes it did went to back to regular payment and late payment in  6/2006

If so, that would have reset your DOFD from 12/2005 to 5/2006.  If not, your DOFD would remain as 12/2005.

Well the correct date would be 60 day past due as of  Jan 2006 and then again in June 2006. 90 day past due as of July 2006. Collection as of Nov 2006.

So I think the DOFD will be  Nov 2006 as you said it would have reset my DOFD so I think it would be Nov 2006 and drop off will be in 2014.

Your DOFD, which controls the drop off the CA, would be either 12/2005 or 5/2006.

Acount 3:

Since no data was provided on montly OC account delinquencies, your DOFD on the account cannot be inferred.  Since it was not opened until 2004, the DOFD was most likely not until sometime in mid-2005, making the drop off date for the CA sometime in late 2012.

Correct. The drop off  will be after Jan 2013 as it went to collection in 2013.

Thanks again for your help and time.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.