Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to remove a Carmax Charge Off/Repossession

tag
matrix23
Established Member

How to remove a Carmax Charge Off/Repossession

Hi,

Posting this for a friend who has a charge off/repossession.

Carmax Auto Finance

30 day late Oct 2008

Repossessed Nov 2008

Charge Off Mar 2013

Joint Account with her ex-husband who took the car from her and then didn't pay it off and let it got repossessed.  Obviously she is still responsible for it, however what is the best course of action?  Should she DV it and see how much is actually owed then perhaps work a PFD.  If it is anything that is too costly, she could probably not afford it (upwards of $500). 

She really wants a new car and I am afraid she will not get a loan until this drops off at the end of 2015.  Could she still get a loan?  She has loan currently that started in 2007 and will be finished in 3 months.  However, that loan is also joint with her ex--husband and he still has that car.  Also, has a Cap One Secured Credit Card with $300 CLI if that helps.

MY WALLET: Chase Sapphire Preferred $12,500, Chase Freedom $12,500, Chase Ink Bold NPSL, Amex Blue Cash Everyday $25,000, Bank Americard Cash Rewards $17,500, Discover It $9,000
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
matrix23
Established Member

Re: How to remove a Carmax Charge Off/Repossession

Also this past the SOL 4 years in her state.  So if this was sold to a CA, that would not restart? 

MY WALLET: Chase Sapphire Preferred $12,500, Chase Freedom $12,500, Chase Ink Bold NPSL, Amex Blue Cash Everyday $25,000, Bank Americard Cash Rewards $17,500, Discover It $9,000
Message 2 of 11
guiness56
Epic Contributor

How could it be repossessed in 2008 and not charged of until 2013?  That is impossible.

Message 3 of 11
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@guiness56 wrote:

How could it be repossessed in 2008 and not charged of until 2013?  That is impossible.

I agree.  The DOFD would begin with the 30 day late.  The  CO would have followed with the repo.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 4 of 11
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

A repo is the taking back of the asset securing the debt.  A charge-off is an accounting decision on how to deal with unpaid debt that has become uncollectible.

Obviously, the final indebetness of the consumer is then based on the difference between whatever was owed and what they received as offset upon sale of the property.

So, yes, they should provide an accounting of the net debt still owed.

However, I dont see the impossibility of taking a charge-off at a later time, if ever.

They could have still continued to include the unpaid net debt as a receivable asset, and still considered the net to be collectible.

They could then, at a later point in time, decide to move the remaining debt over to an uncollectible bad debt in their accounting ledger.

When they decide to take that accounting measure is their decision.

Message 5 of 11
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

But the DOFD would still be set with the 30 day late.  

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 6 of 11
matrix23
Established Member

Sorry for replying late.  But I a bit confused as looking at her Experian report is shows as paid/closed, is this due to it being a charge-off?  This is how it shows in her Experian report.  This link is an image of her CR from Experian http://postimg.org/image/h8r2kszv3/

Message 7 of 11
matrix23
Established Member

Should I DV to see how much she owes.  She says she paid probably half the 11K down and made a year of payments, so after Repo costs and such perhaps a the debt should be under 2K at least, best case scenario 1K.

Message 8 of 11
guiness56
Epic Contributor

It says it was paid Nov 25, 2008.  The only thing I can think of is they sold it at auction and got enough to pay it off.

What concerns me is the 5 years between a repo and a CO.  While one comes before the other there is no way it could be 5 years.  As far as I know Federal regulations require creditors to charge off installment loans after 120 days, not 5 years.

What state did this happen in?

Message 9 of 11
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.