cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to remove a paid tax lien.

tag
cballa51

How to remove a paid tax lien.

I have 2 paid tax liens from my county clerks office on my credit report. How much does this effect my credit? If i get a copy of the disposition,to send to the credit bureaus, will it be removed immediately?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: How to remove a paid tax lien.

No.

Payment of the debt does not per se require deletion of any adverse reporting that was previsously made on an account.

That is prior history for which the system is intended to record and make available to others.  Payment does not negate the fact of its occurence.

Without some basis for earlier deletion, it will remain in your CR for up to 7 years from date of payment.

One basis is to challenge the lien itself..  If shown to be inaccurate, its deletion would of course be required.

The other basis is to obtain good-will deletion from the party who reported the lien.

That is usually very difficult, as many public records land in a consumer's credit report, not based on reporting of any interested party in the lien itself, but rather based on public record searches commissioned by the CRAs to supplement their files.  With no furnisher to make a request that they delete their reporting, the request would have to go to the CRA.  The CRAs have a stated policy that deletion of adverse reporting should not be made based on satisfaction of the debt.

Message 2 of 3
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

Re: How to remove a paid tax lien.

@cballa51 wrote:

I have 2 paid tax liens from my county clerks office on my credit report. How much does this effect my credit? If i get a copy of the disposition,to send to the credit bureaus, will it be removed immediately?

wai

Thanks.

Are these state or federal liens? Federal liens can be withdrawn by filing form 12277 with the irs. State liens cannot. You have to wait 7 to 10 years in most states. Ny is an exception where you may be able to get it removed in 5. I know this because I just had a lien withdrawn after going through the process. Mine was filed in Illinois and was a Federal lien.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.