Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to remove a satisfied Small Claims Judgment

tag
Chanduwar
Frequent Contributor

How to remove a satisfied Small Claims Judgment

I just satisfied a Small Claims Judgment in North Carolina.

When I went to court for this I had actually gone there for getting it removed. The people at the court said pay it and we will cancel it. I paid it, not knowing that in their language it means SATISFIED.

How do I get that removed? Can any one help me?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How to remove a satisfied Small Claims Judgment

Is this a judgment or a lien?
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can't remove judgment, the judgment stay on your credit report about 7-10 years depend on your state. The only way you can remove the judgment get a lawyer file motion dismiss if you have a good reason.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chanduwar:

What you want to do is file a motion to vacate their order of judgement.

You should be able to call and or go to the courts website and obtain the forms to do this.

You also can contact an attorney to do it, however, I would do it Prose.

Good Luck!

EDIT:

A good reasion to have it vacated is simply you had financial hardship and you have paid it.  Most likely the judge will decide in your favor anyways as the place whom put the judgement on your credit likely wont want to spend any time defending your motion to vacate.

Message Edited by RSHEPPICK on 06-05-2009 10:46 AM
Message 4 of 7
Chanduwar
Frequent Contributor

It is a Small Claims Judgment. Now paid and satisfied.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Whoever filed the claim must file an order to vacate. This goes into a judge.  If not vacated it will remain on your CR 7 years from the date filed.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

HappyDays is incorrect.

You as the defendant can file a motion to set aisde the judgement and or vacate it.

You can do it if they wont, it isn't up to them or you if it can be removed its up to the judge, which is why either petitioner or defendant can file motions.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.