Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to remove collection

tag
Tran92
Regular Contributor

How to remove collection

I am fairly new at building credit so I was surprised to see that I have a collection under TU when I checked my credit score. I am really surprise because I have no idea how I got that since I never had a credit card up until this month. It says I owe $95. But how do I contact them to just pay it off? Do I call TU ? Sorry I'm new at this.
TU 746 (10/13)
GOAL: 750+

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: How to remove collection

It is usually not wise to pay an alleged debt until you determine who the alleged creditor was, agree that it is legitimate, and the asserted amount is correct.

The FDCPA has a debt verification process designed to enable creditors to get that information.

The process begins by a requirement that, once a debt collector has iniiated collection on a debt, of which reporting to a CRA is considered to be an act of initiating collection, they are required to send you a formal collection (dunning) notice within 5 days, informing you of the name of the alleged creditor, the amount of the alleged debt, and of your right to request that they verify the debt by sendind a written request, called a DV request, to them within 30 days of receipt of their dunning notice.

If you did not receive dunning notice, they are in violation of their debt collection practices obligations.

You can either locate their name from your credit report or call the CRA and attempt to get their name and address, and then send them a DV request.

How to deal with the collector will depend upon its legitimacy.

Message 2 of 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Ditto to the DV. If they verify and you agree, then send a PFD.

Message 3 of 7
Tran92
Regular Contributor

A quick update. So I noticed online on TU website that you can file a disbute against any info that may be incorrect. I filed one last night and got the results back today. They were able to delete the collection so no more baddies for me. (:
TU 746 (10/13)

Message 4 of 7
bahbahd
Established Contributor

What did you dispute with?

Message 5 of 7
jadeite788
Established Contributor

yeahhhh babby...

Starting Score: 565
Current Experian Score: 634 (Lender pull)
Current Equifax Score: previous 668, 680 as of 11/12/13 lender pull
Current Transunion Score: previous 675,677 as of 09/23/13
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 6 of 7
Tran92
Regular Contributor

I disputed a collection for a car insurance that wasn't even mines. I figured my brother must have used my debit and didn't pay one month after cancelling it. When I filed it online there was a check box that says I am not liable for this and that the person who is liable has a similar name/address. So yea that worked for me.
TU 746 (10/13)

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.