cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to remove comcast (DCI) collection on my report?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to remove comcast (DCI) collection on my report?

Hi,

A few months ago I got letters from DCI regarding my comcast bill. I did online chat (all transcripts downloaded) with comcast and comcast agreed to adjust the bill and send it to me but they never did and DCI filed collection and that made big wound in my credit report...

I called comcast, paid the amount and they agreed to remove it but to confirm I had to call DCI. What DCI said is they'll notify credit bureaus that account is paid but can't request them to remove it. Is that true? I believe removal would be best but mark it as paid will recover my credit back? If not, how can I remove it? Can I get some advice?

Thanks!!!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Re: How to remove comcast (DCI) collection on my report?

Do you have chat transcript for removal? Ask Comcast for letter (call the executive office in PA, they should be able to review telephone recordings). Google for number. I've found them to be helpful.

If you have the name of rep from Comcast and ID, you can also dispute via phone with higher ranking contacts at the bureaus. This works best with TU, they seem to be more in compliance with the cfpb.

You need some documentation from Comcast to get it off the reports. Of course, reps will say anything. I would also try supervisors at dci, but I have never dealt with them.
Signature needs updating
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your info. I have chat transcript for that and probably need to follow that way.

I actually was waiting for credit dispute results hoping for removal but they all said it remains. What I'm curisous is which party actually can remove it. Based on my phone calls, what they said is like below.

1. DCI:  The account is paid and it's not on their hand anymore. Call Comcast for any request.

2. Comcast: I called credit dept. There's no balance on the account. It's bureau's decision to remove it or not.

3. Bureause: Online dispute says no to removal.

What would be proper procedure in this case? Call Comcast executive office in PA and get a letter (what's the title of this letter?, any sample?) and send it to DCI? or Bureaus?

The collection on the resport is filed from DCI, not comcast so I'm confused..

Help would be really appreciated.. Thanks!

Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If the OC assigned collection authority, which is apparently the situation, the debt collector has the ability to report their collection to the CRAs,

The OC is not the furnisher of the reported collection, and can neither report its deletion to a CRA or require the debt collector to delete.

They could, if so inclined, contact their debt collector and request they delete, but cannot require them to do so.

The CRA policy is that a debt collector not delete based on payment of the debt.  Yes, they can choose to ignore that policy and delete, but have a business commitment not to do so.  Intervention by an OC is at their option, and since they would be requesting their assignee to act contrary to CRA policy, may well be declined.

End result is that obtaining voluntary agreement by the debt collector to grant a good-will deletion is the normal procedure.

There are no statutes or regs to compel them to delete.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.