cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to remove myself as authorized user?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to remove myself as authorized user?

So my brother has a Chase card with 20k balance and I was a reported authorized user!!!

How do I remove this from my credit report???

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How to remove myself as authorized user?

Unfortunately with Chase the cardholder is the only one who can remove an authorized user. Once your brother removes you from his account the TL will typically stop reporting and drop off your CR.

My advice is to do it fast as you don't want someone else's decisions adversely affecting your credit. I was an AU on my brothers card, one month he missed a payment and my score drop 20pts.

Message 2 of 5
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

If your brother won't can't the AU account, dispute it with the option 'belongs to account holder ' or 'not responsible for the account'.
Message 3 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The authorized user process is an anomoly that is accepted by the CRAs, but without any clear procedures in their credit reporting manual.

The status of an AU is recorded by the CRA by way of the ECOA Code, which is either sole responsibility, joint responsibility, maker (co-signor), or authorized user.

That is the extent of AU procedure definitions in the credit reporting manual.

One of the potential whipsaw effects of only getting the AU changed via the CRA is that the creditor may continue to report the AU, which can then result in the update of the ECOA code back to the AU.  Thus, I would recommend always making sure that the creditor also ceases reporting.  As indicated by others, different creditors may have different procedures, with some accepting only a request from the user, while others may request notification from the primary card holder.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertEG wrote:

The authorized user process is an anomoly that is accepted by the CRAs, but without any clear procedures in their credit reporting manual.

The status of an AU is recorded by the CRA by way of the ECOA Code, which is either sole responsibility, joint responsibility, maker (co-signor), or authorized user.

That is the extent of AU procedure definitions in the credit reporting manual.

One of the potential whipsaw effects of only getting the AU changed via the CRA is that the creditor may continue to report the AU, which can then result in the update of the ECOA code back to the AU.  Thus, I would recommend always making sure that the creditor also ceases reporting.  As indicated by others, different creditors may have different procedures, with some accepting only a request from the user, while others may request notification from the primary card holder.

+1 

This is why it's best to try to get your brother to remove you. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.