cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to respond to a settlement offer with a PFD?

tag
George888
New Contributor

How to respond to a settlement offer with a PFD?

I received a settlement offer from a CA.  I want to send them a PFD because if I pay, I want their trade line removed from my credit report.  I ask the following question because I don't know what possible consequences there might be (if any) by sending one type of letter, or another.

• When I send the PFD, should I respond mention that I am replying to to their settlement offer letter, or should I not mention their letter at all and word my PFD as an unsolicited offer to them?

Thank you

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How to respond to a settlement offer with a PFD?

@George888 wrote:

I received a settlement offer from a CA.  I want to send them a PFD because if I pay, I want their trade line removed from my credit report.  I ask the following question because I don't know what possible consequences there might be (if any) by sending one type of letter, or another.

• When I send the PFD, should I respond mention that I am replying to to their settlement offer letter, or should I not mention their letter at all and word my PFD as an unsolicited offer to them?

Thank you

Is this outside of the Statute of Limitations?  Also, in anything you send, I would not acknowlege ownership because it might restart the statute of limitations on the debt.

If they are still able to sue, I would tread lightly! 

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 2 of 3
George888
New Contributor

Re: How to respond to a settlement offer with a PFD?

That's good info.  So, if it is outside the SOL, then it doesn't matter how I respond?  

But if it is inside the SOL, then what?  Is it recommended not to respond because it might prompt them to escalate their efforts from letters to taking me to court?  If so, should I wait until it is outside the SOL before sending a PFD?

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.