cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to settle on a charged off car loan??

tag
mannygirl

How to settle on a charged off car loan??

I originally bought a car in 06 for around $20k, in 08 I fell into hard times and was not able to pay. The creditor never reported my car. After a couple of months I noticed that the debt was charged off in Feb of 09. I have since not heard from them and to be honest, paid the car. I still have the car. Recently, they started pursuing the debt and have the car out for repossession. I need some advice on how to handle this situation. The car is in fairly good condition. The amount charged off was $10k. I was going to try to settle with the lender up to 50 percent. Is it worth trying to settle? Will the CO still stay on my credit report? Also, will my score drop further if I voluntarily surrender or let them repo the car?

If I were to settle what is the best way to go around this?

Thank

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: How to settle on a charged off car loan??

@mannygirl wrote:

I originally bought a car in 06 for around $20k, in 08 I fell into hard times and was not able to pay. The creditor never reported my car. After a couple of months I noticed that the debt was charged off in Feb of 09. I have since not heard from them and to be honest, paid the car. I still have the car. Recently, they started pursuing the debt and have the car out for repossession. I need some advice on how to handle this situation. The car is in fairly good condition. The amount charged off was $10k. I was going to try to settle with the lender up to 50 percent. Is it worth trying to settle? Will the CO still stay on my credit report? Also, will my score drop further if I voluntarily surrender or let them repo the car?

If I were to settle what is the best way to go around this?

Thank

I'm guessing that's a typo?

A voluntary repo is the same FICO wise.

They did things a little backwards.  First they should repo the car and if you caught up it would be returned to you, however, the repossession would still be on your report.   If you couldn't, the debt would then be COd.  It would report as a repossession on your report.

You can try to settle but I really doubt they would allow you to keep the car.

It's more than likely still within SOL and you could easily be sued for the remainder.

Even paid a CO remains on your CR. 

What do you mean they have the car out for repossession?

Message 2 of 4
mannygirl

Thank you for your quick response..

They have not repoed the car, it is still in my possession. They recently sent a repo man to my former address. I haven't paid on the car since I saw they charged it off. I would not have a chance trying to settle with them? I do not want to be sued.

Message 3 of 4
guiness56
Epic Contributor

They may allow you to settle but I highly doubt they will let you keep the car.

The best thing would be to contact them.  If they ask you for the car you would have to give it to them. 

Even though you still have the car, they can still put a repo on your CR.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.