cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to stop collection companies from looking at your credit ?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to stop collection companies from looking at your credit ?

I have already locked every credit report and it seems now that I've been working on my credit I'm getting more inquires on my credit . Most of the new inquires are collection companies that was already reporting . Now one in particular called CONTACT CALLERS hit this morning. I thought the purpose of locking my reports is so no one can inquire unless I un-lock it. Is there something I'm messing with the whole lock report thing ? Thanks in advance

Edit to Add : What are the best websites to monitor credit ? I'm willing to pay a fee for accurate reports and scores . 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: How to stop collection companies from looking at your credit ?

Inquiries by existing creditors and by debt collectors have explicit permissible purpose under FCRA 604 without any authorization of the consumer.

They are not inquries related to any consumer-initiated request for new or increased credit, and are not normally precluded by fraud alerts or freezes.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do they impact your score or are they soft inquiries?

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the information . So it's no way to stop them from looking ? 

Message 4 of 6
Ardecko
Frequent Contributor

Existing creditors usually do soft pulls for normal monitoring. Soft pulls do not impact your score, and I think they are invisible to everyone but you.

They should not do a hard pull without you making a request with them, ie for credit line increase or to open a new product/account with them. (That doesn't mean it does not happen occasionally, it just means, not usually.)

2017-09-09 FICO 08: EQ 677, TU 640, EX 705
2020-02-07 FICO 08: TU 789
2020-02-10 FICO 08: EX 752

Gardening, mostly, again until... soon(I need to replace my car)

Message 5 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

As long as the debt collector still has active collection authority, it is their right to request and obtain your credit report.

You can terminate their ability to pull your credit report by paying the debt.

After the debt is paid, they no longer have active collection authority, and thus their permissible purpose under FCRA 604 expires.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.