Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to tell if a judgement was renewed?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to tell if a judgement was renewed?

I have 2-3 default judgements about 12 years old from when I got sick without medical insurance, when I look up my judgement docket numbers on the court site they were filed at nothing comes up, does that mean the judgement has expired? They have to manually renew them correct? This is in NJ.

I'm in a position to pay off these judgements, but honestly I don't see the point if they were never renewed and this is just some collection company trying their luck to collect on a very old debt.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How to tell if a judgement was renewed?

@Anonymous wrote:

I have 2-3 default judgements about 12 years old from when I got sick without medical insurance, when I look up my judgement docket numbers on the court site they were filed at nothing comes up, does that mean the judgement has expired? They have to manually renew them correct? This is in NJ.

I'm in a position to pay off these judgements, but honestly I don't see the point if they were never renewed and this is just some collection company trying their luck to collect on a very old debt.

Thank you.

In NJ docketed judgments are valid for 20 years from the date they are issued. I would go to the courthouse and get copies of the entire court docket its most likely in archived records but they do have it if if actually went to judgment. Welcome to myFico Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How to tell if a judgement was renewed?

@gdale6 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you.

In NJ docketed judgments are valid for 20 years from the date they are issued. I would go to the courthouse and get copies of the entire court docket its most likely in archived records but they do have it if if actually went to judgment. Welcome to myFico Smiley Happy

Thanks for the response.

Are all judgements docketed? From my research I thought it said to be "docketed" the judgement had to be registered with the state court, not just the county.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.