Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How will being added as an Authorized user

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How will being added as an Authorized user

Help my rebuilding efforts?  Lets assume responsible use from the account holder.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How will being added as an Authorized user

@Anonymous wrote:

Help my rebuilding efforts?  Lets assume responsible use from the account holder.

Very much so.  It will help you tremendously.

Message 2 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

It depends upon the type of review that is done by the creditor considering any applicaiton for new credit.

Assuming that adding the AU positively affects your score, if the creditor relies primarily or only on your score in their decision making, it would clearly be advantageous.

Many creditors will limit their time and $$ in evaluation of approvals if the amount of credit being sought is not high.

Thus, it can be a great building or rebuilding tool.

However, if the creditor does a more involved manual review in their approval process, they will likely note the presence of the AU.

That automatically makes your credit score not representative of only your own credit history.

The credito has no way to "back out" the effect of the AU account and obtain a "real score" representative of only your own history.

They thus may choose to discount the value of your score in their approval process.

What types of new credit will you be seeking after addition of the AU?

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just credit cards. Possibly a car loan.
Message 4 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Are they starter cards that usually dont involve a manual review, or are you apping for higher limit bank cards?

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, starter unsecured cards.
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I was added as an authorized user on a credit card with a limit of $1500.  Credit Karma is showing a rasie of 17 points today, now that it's added. 

Message 7 of 10
Katheryne88
Regular Contributor

^^^ do you know how long it took for them to report?

I was added on my fiance's Amex last month and they havent reported yet. Seems like an eternity

Starting score May 2015 500's across the boards
Now - 610 EQ 598 TU 597 EX
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would first try to get at least two secured cards. I would recommend Capital One and Open Sky. Probably the easiest to get and are not considered "predator" lenders like First Premier and Credit One.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Katheryne88 wrote:

^^^ do you know how long it took for them to report?

I was added on my fiance's Amex last month and they havent reported yet. Seems like an eternity

added me about 2 weeks ago I believe. 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.