cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How would my credit score drop 7 points in one day?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How would my credit score drop 7 points in one day?

How would my credit score drop 7 points in one day? I didn't change anything, how can I find out what changed?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How would my credit score drop 7 points in one day?

freezingfrog wrote:
How would my credit score drop 7 points in one day? I didn't change anything, how can I find out what changed?

Do you have a copy of the report BEFORE the change and a copy AFTER the change?

If so, put them side by side and go line by line and check all the information, including DATES.

Did a CA update? New inquiry?
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did any of your balances go up or CL go down - increasing util%?
Did any old account fall of your CR - decreasing average age?
Did an inq from the psst finally hit CR - sometimes they are delayed?
Did an account you recently opened finally hit CR - sometimes they are delayed also?
Did you recently pay off a loan - thus changing your credit mix?

If you literally have had no new activity in last 6 mo (no new cards, no inq, no CL decreases, no accounts closing, no accounts dropping) then most likely is an increase in REPORTED balance.

Not I said REPORTED. Let's say you PIF on a card each month. It's a 2K card and you put about 500 on it. Every month you pay it around the 23rd-26th and it reports on 28th. So when it reports it has maybe $100 on it. This month you end up paying on 29th so it reports 600 on $2000K = 30% util. Score gets hit 7 points. Nothing changed except the date of payment.

As sidewinder say look at CR before and after change.
Message 3 of 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

CreditMizer wrote:
Did any of your balances go up or CL go down - increasing util%?
Did any old account fall of your CR - decreasing average age?
Did an inq from the psst finally hit CR - sometimes they are delayed?
Did an account you recently opened finally hit CR - sometimes they are delayed also?
Did you recently pay off a loan - thus changing your credit mix?

If you literally have had no new activity in last 6 mo (no new cards, no inq, no CL decreases, no accounts closing, no accounts dropping) then most likely is an increase in REPORTED balance.

Not I said REPORTED. Let's say you PIF on a card each month. It's a 2K card and you put about 500 on it. Every month you pay it around the 23rd-26th and it reports on 28th. So when it reports it has maybe $100 on it. This month you end up paying on 29th so it reports 600 on $2000K = 30% util. Score gets hit 7 points. Nothing changed except the date of payment.

As sidewinder say look at CR before and after change.

Sums it up well!
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.